Changes Are Here

by Kimberley on April 17, 2010 · 8 comments

I went back to work last week and the wheels seriously came off the little vehicle that is our family. I know I will not be the first or the last mother to experience this but, it does not make it any less challenging. The worst part is, I only work part-time! I can only imagine what it must be like for the families that go from Mom being home all the time to being at work five days a week. That must be almost impossible to deal with… I actually cannot imagine it.

It is not that I don’t like working because in some ways I do. It is nice to have some adult time and to have a lunch break and a coffee break. But, it is the little unexpected things you take for granted while you are off that slap you in the face when you head back to the grind. Like, good health for example.

While I was on maternity leave I was never sick. I think I may have had one nasty sickness the entire year. I went back to work for two days and BAM! I was hit with this gastrointestinal virus that I brought home to my entire family that had us all vomiting for the last week. I am sure you can imagine how disruptive that was. Embarrassing as well; I have only worked two days and I have already had to call in sick for the other two days. I must seem like a stellar employee already… I think I have some proving to do when I head back on Monday.

Anyway, we all have to work right? We can’t live in the dream world that is Maternity Leave forever I suppose.

Have you gone back to work recently? What was the hardest thing for you?

Konul April 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I have recently re-started my photography business after a maternity leave, and I can relate, it gets so busy. Even for me, and I am lucky that I can choose when to work, i.e., at naptimes, etc. One thing I’m trying to do, no matter how busy I get, is to remember to have “family time.” Kids grow up too fast!

KellyP April 17, 2010 at 4:13 pm

It is so weird to be just starting out on the other side of this. I’m not looking forward to a year from now when I have to go through this.

Good luck with the transition!

Kwyn April 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

I hate working, but I also find job sharing a challenge. The hardest part for me is definitely the rush in the morning with the tears when I drop my youngest off. These days he just doesn’t want to go and it starts when I put his shoes on and last until I have done the deed of dropping him off 🙁 “I don’t want to go mommy” and he clings to me. I also hate that it is my other son’s first year of school and I am not a part of it. Field trips, knowing his school friends, playdates with his new friends – its hard. Hoping to go back to part time next year as I have really struggles with full time this year. I can feel myself tearing up, just typing this. Somedays are easier then others…..

Our Little Pickle May 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

It would be nice if our local economy was one that enabled moms to stay home if they wanted to! Maybe if maternity leave was 3 years as well, would solve the neverending daycare crisis this city has!

Michelle Barber May 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm

This is just a quick response to this blog. I am very new to this and not quite sure how to tell my story. I am a part-time teacher, (used to be full-time forever before kids), a mother of two boys with high-functioning autism, taxi-driver, cheerleader and helper our private children’s running club, dance instructor (at school…we are at the Honours performance at UVIC tomorrow!, track coach, etc. etc. I am sure there are more titles.) I know how it is to change your hat many times a day. I always consider myself a mom first and I volunteer and do what I can at my sons’ school as often as I can. Life is crazy busy, but I married a great guy and my boys are making great progress.
Anyway, “cheers” to all the moms as I know I get super tired all the time, but I do not let myself think about it. I hope you all have a great day!

Michelle Barber May 5, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Wow! 3 yrs would be great, but how could they organize that long. I was grateful for the 1 yr and would not want that to change.

Kara A May 6, 2010 at 9:52 am

I am with OURLITTLEPICKLE! I do at-home daycare to be able to “extend” the SAHM experience. But I am exhausted. I have taken to very ealry nights! I don’t understand why we don’t value moms and teachers more. I just don’t get it. Don’t get me started on how my unemployed (by choice) brother, a self-imposed street person (aged 40) can get social benefit after benefit and tax benifits galore, and moms get SQUAT. Arrgh. And as a SAHM/LNR if I get sick or injured I have ZERO benefits! He gets WC, EI, SA, you name it!

Kara A May 6, 2010 at 9:53 am

I should explain, he works just long enough to qualify then oh darn, I am hurt, and waaaah I need assistance, then the money gets blown, then he gets another job….. etc.