KIV Community

New Mom in Victoria and looking for work - speak French

Post your suggestions about the site and our forums here. Something you'd like to see on the site, tell us about it. If there is a forum topic you would find useful, let us know. If we get enough interest, we'll create it for you.

New Mom in Victoria and looking for work - speak French

Postby Irene12 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:51 pm

I am a mother of two, my children are 11 and 14, we are looking to move to Victoria this December. I have no doubt Victoria is a beautiful place to raise a family and certainly the best climate in Canada. I am now in Australia, so I know no matter where I will be in Canada, the weather will be a concern. I'm ready now to confront this, and I think as long as my family/children will be happy, going to a good school, etc. Then what more can I ask?
My main concern and most importantly is finding a job. I have been a mother for ten years, my children are all grown up, I need to return to the workforce. I am more then ready to accept anything, a job to support my family. I want to know if in Victoria, I will be able to find a job. How is the job market for a woman? Is the job market good for woman?
Also, I heard that the cost of living is expensive their. How expensive is grocery shopping? Here in Brisbane, grocery is so so expensive, $120.00 is considered normal. Apples are sometime $5.00 per kilo, Chicken breast $9.00/kilo, etc. Is it as expensive in Victoria? How about restaurant?
Any comments would be much appreciated, it's the best way for me to know the city before making my move. Thank you, Irene12
Irene12
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Suggestions