KIV Community

Advice re sleepless baby :(

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Advice re sleepless baby :(

Postby Tanya W on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:16 pm

For the past couple week Ryan has been getting up AT LEAST 5 times a night crying. Usually he breastfeeds a couple of those times. He was sleeping through the night for the past few months previous, except he would occasionally wake up to eat, but now he just won't sleep through. I noticed his top left tooth in coming in...could this be the only reason why? His bottom teeth didn't seem to bother him when they came in. Should I not be going into his room every time he cries? It just seems like the type of cry that something is wrong, not just an "I'm lonely" cry. Any advice for a first time mom is appreciated!

Thanks,
A Very Tired Mom
Tanya W

Region:

Postby Tamji on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Tired Mom,

First of all, big hugs to you....teething for babies is awful :cry: , and even harder on us mommies because we want to "fix it" and we can't!

When my girls went thru the top teeth teething, I gave them some tylenol or advil for pain. I'm not one to automatically dope my kids up as soon as they whimper, but I know the cry you mean, it's a "mommy make it better" cry and it tears your guts out. So that's what worked for me.

There are also naturopathic teething tablets -- forgive me I can't remember the name of them -- they come in a small white rectangular box and they work like a charm! Wish I'd known about them when my girls were teething -- I learned about them from one of my daycare moms. They dissolve instantly and work FAST!

I found my girls also wanted to sleep with mommy too. There were many nights I sat on the couch and just held them close to me, it seemed to make them feel better being close to mommy and listening to my heart.

Of course, it makes YOU exhausted! Is there anyway someone can watch your little guy so you can get a few hours' uninterrupted rest? That always made all the difference for me...

If he only cries when you lie him down, he may have an ear infection? Wouldn't hurt to take him into the doc just in case...I always took my girls in if the above stuff didn't work for me..

Hope this helps
I'd rather be hated for who I am
Than loved for who I am not.
Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Jax on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:17 pm

I feel for you. I found that the top teeth were much harder on my little guy than the bottom. I was surprised when he started getting fussy because there was not one sign when the bottom ones came through. Trust your heart. You know when the cry means 'Mom, I need you'. A little extra comforting during this time will make it go by easier for him and it won't be too much longer for you!
Good luck.
Jax
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Tamji on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:01 pm

Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:26 pm

Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Tanya W on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:21 pm

Tamji - Thanks for the hug and advice! It has been a rough couple weeks and it wasn't until his top tooth showed signs of sprouting that I realized it might be teething. Ryan slept pretty well last night, from 9:30 ish to 5:00 this morning which is pretty good! So we cuddled the rest of the morning after that. :) I think I will try the Tylenol on the nights when he is extra whiny or fussy. I don't want to make a habit of giving him drugs though. I know DH would watch him while I slept, so I better do that before I get run down. That sounds like a nasty fever your 5 year old had! I'd say she's feeling a tad better if she's been battling with her sister this morning. :wink: Btw, do you happen to know where I can find those teething tablets?

Jax - Strange how the bottom teeth don't bother them but the top teeth are horrible. Yes, I definitely know when he's giving me the kind of cry where he needs me. I'll make sure to give him some extra cuddles while he's teething. Thx for your post.

Tanya
Tanya W

Region:

Postby Tanya W on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:25 pm

Sunnygirl, is that like an orajel? Something you can buy at the drug store? I'll have to check out these different things since cold teething rings aren't working for Ryan.
Tanya W

Region:

Postby Jax on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:38 pm

I found that kevin really liked the frozen wet face clothes. I used puified water and as they thawed, he would drink the water.
Jax
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Tamji on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:49 pm

:) awww glad my hugs made it to ya!

I think you can get those teething tabs at Thrifty's (??), or for sure at a naturopathic-type store.

Yah I totally agree with you on the drugs...I figure if they can't sleep, they need 'em. My dentist told me that baby teething hurts soooo much that if an adult had to go thru it, they would pass out from the pain :shock:

I think the top teeth hurt more because the nerve endings there go up into the sinuses and eyes??? Just a guess...

Anyway, so glad to hear you and he had a much better night!
Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:51 pm

the teething tablets i swear by are called Hyland's, in a pink box, at most vitamin stores. I give my dd like 4-6 at a time, and she just gobbles them up.
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Tamji on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:57 pm

Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region: