KIV Community

nasal aspirators

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

nasal aspirators

Postby michele w on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:18 am

Does anyone know of one that may work better than another, my 4 month old has a cold and his nose is VERY small and I just feel so awful that I can't get the stuff out for him!! Do these really even work???[/b]
michele w
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Zabrina on Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:53 am

Zabrina
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:47 pm

okay Michele, you didn't hear this from me, but on the old KIV, a mom shared her tip (see Joanne, I'm not ratting you out!!!) that she sucked the snot out herself. in her mouth. gross, i know. but it really, really works. not that I've done it. but I know those who read that mom's post and used her 'technique' on their sick kids and it worked. you can do what you wish with this bizarre info. :)
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beachbaby on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:02 pm

Maybe that's the REAL reason they call 'em snot suckers (the plastic bulb thingy, not the mom!). That's gross, Caelen. Is your "source" reliable, or are you
beachbaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby michele w on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:04 pm

I have heard that before, but come on!!!! That will be my last resort and i will get my husband to pay me to do it!!! ha ha
michele w
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beachbaby on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:04 pm

making that up??...is what I meant to say.
beachbaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:10 am

never Lachelle!!! don't you remember that old KIV thread? c'mon Mookie's mom, back me up!!(you too Collette!). oops.

anyway, they both swear it works. I'm not game, but I believe them.
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Solon's Mommy on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:10 am

I will back you up Caelen...as to what she does with her little Mookie or more like what she use to do when she was a babe. Babe has only had one slight little cold and She was all over me doing the snot sucking thing but I easily got it out by running my finger down the side of one nostril then the other. But yeah...I would like to think I would do it but only if absolutely necessary............
Last edited by Solon's Mommy on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solon's Mommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby amazonmama on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:03 pm

I'm there for ya Caelen...I totally remember that post!
Me, I just use a nasal aspirator...works like a hot damn!

amazonmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 pm

I'll back you up Caelen....She has told me the same thing herself, and I have even done it with my kids. Some of those suction bulb things really suck (pardon the pun) and that was all that could be done to help my poor baby. It's really not that bad ladies...bit salty...I can think of something to compare it to, but won't post that LMAO!

C'mon Jojo...where you at??

LOL

Postby mookie's mum on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:47 pm

Yo Yo! Snot-Sucker's in the his-ouse!!
'Tis true ladies...
After trying unsucessfully to use one of those bulb thingies (and the fact that my dh was having a hissy-fit that I was possibly hurting her) I did the snot sucking method. Oh right... and the Mookster was VERY unhappy with me for trying to shove that piece of plastic up her nose!
Really, it's not bad!
You just have to try and do one nostril at a time. And gently. It works like a hot damn. I believe it was mentioned in the 'Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy'... someone was horrified when she saw her Nanny do this to her baby.
I can think of WAY grosser things!
Conclusion: The end result was a much happier baby who peacefully slept her cold away AND I wasn't stressed out worrying about her all night!
Come on... TRY IT! :D
mookie's mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MK2mom on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:19 am

I got one of these when my first dd had her first cold (can't remember which brand it is). It worked wonders for clearing her nose, but she HATED it being used on her. I had to pin her down to do it and she would feel alot better once it was done.

I have found the vapourizer works really well at clearing her sinuses when congested too.

I used the nasal aspirator (dd #1 refers to it as the 'snot sucker') on dd #2 recently as she had her first real cold and she too HATED it. I took her to the clinic to have her lungs listened to as it sounded like the cold may be heading into her lungs, she was very raspy. The doctor there told me to try infant nasal spray. I did, and it worked wonders! She isn't 'fond' of it but doesn't fight it nearly as much and it too clears her nose so she can breathe. :)
MK2mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting