KIV Community

Cost of living in Victoria with a toddler

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Cost of living in Victoria with a toddler

Postby inarudelmar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Hello everyone!

Ill be relocating to VIctoria soon with my husband and our 3year old son. I am concern about the cost living. I have search in the internet but cant really get enough info. How much does a gallon of regular milk costs? I also want to meet other moms with young childern. Since Im probably moving with my son before my husband, I really advice on anything and everything!!!!

Thanks!!!
Ina
inarudelmar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Cost of living in Victoria with a toddler

Postby Samandemma on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:06 pm

There are quite a few options for meeting other moms and preschool-aged children for your DS. There are "Strong Start" programmes that are free to all children (ages birth through 5 years of age) and they are offered at several public elementary schools each weekday, generally from 8:45 to 11:45 am on a drop-in basis. Strong Start programmes offer a similar programme to a preschool morning so there is: free play time (with puzzles, art, various toys etc); snack time (each person is asked to bring a piece of fruit to share); circle time (stories, songs, rhymes etc), and at least once/week there is generally gym play time.

There are also other free, drop-in play groups in various areas of Victoria and the Westshore (Langford, Colwood, Metchosin).

Many of the recreation centres also offer various toddler/preschool classes (for nominal fees) and also some programmes are offered at a nominal fee ($2.00 to $4.00).

If you are considering preschool for your DS there are numerous preschool options, including cooperative preschools. Co-op preschools tend to be less expensive and they involve parent participation in the classroom with your child and the other children once or twice a month.

4 litres of milk is approx. $4.25

HTH. Welcome to Victoria.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby inarudelmar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Thank you for your reply samandemma! I will be working full time so I will need daycare/preschool full time. I dont have an exact date to move yet and I dont know where exactly is the office. I know ill be in victoria but not exactly where.

I live in the US Virgin Islands and here I pay $8 for 4 liters of milk, crazy ha! I have read Victoria is quite expensive but I dont think is as expensive as where I currently live. Can you please tell me a little more about prices and cost of living?

Thanks!
inarudelmar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Gas prices are currently fluctuating between $1.20 per litre and $1.35 per litre.

You can find house prices here: mls.ca

You can compare US with CAD for merchandise by comparing similar websites - eg. Walmart.com vs Walmart.ca
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby inarudelmar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Thank you sunnygirl, will check that!
inarudelmar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby littetreehugger on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 pm

We just moved here last month and drove across Canada so I had a chance to check out the prices of things throughout Canada (we came from Fredericton, NB). Needless to say I found the prices right across the country to be pretty much the same. Milk is about the same give or take a few pennies, gas is pretty much the same (although Sask. had the cheapest). I find the cost of pre-schools out here to be more expensive than out east; preschools out east are about $125 for 3 days/week including snack whereas here it's about $160 2 days/week w/o snack and that's the lower end. I'm assuming that daycare costs more as well ( a dayhome out east would charge about $20/day per child). The great thing about living here is all of the local food you can buy, the selection of organic local food is the best I've seen. I have an 18 month old and 3 year old so give me a call when you get here, I'd be more than happy to share more info. with you.
littetreehugger
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby inarudelmar on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks so much for your reply littetreehugger!!

I have not move yet but I will definetly be in touch when I get there. I have another question, I will definetly be working must saturdays, is it hard to find daycare on saturdays?

Thanks
Inaru
inarudelmar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Moo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:14 pm

[/quote]

A daycare facility- yes impossible. A licensed family daycare- probably still impossible. You may be able to find a Mom looking for a saturday job, or a nanny or teen babysitter?

:)[/quote]

Nope, not impossible. Centennial Daycare is a licensed group facility for
2.5 - 5 year olds, and they have spaces available. They are amazing amazing amazing - my son has been there for two years and is flourishing.

http://centennialdaycare.ca/
(250) 386-6832

It's expensive, of course. No daycare in Victoria is cheap, but you might be able to get subsidy. It's worth looking into.
Moo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Moo on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:13 am

No....not open Saturdays...they're a regular Monday - Friday facility.
Moo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Moo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Ah yes. I should definitely read things more carefully. Sorry about that folks! yeah....weekend daycare is pretty rare. I've never heard of one.
Moo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby bestofus on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi,

I have a 3 year old son as well and could possibly help you out with weekend care!

Feel free to email me and we can chat more.
Nadine
jnbest@telus.net

bestofus
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting