KIV Community

My 9 month old fell off my bed!!

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

My 9 month old fell off my bed!!

Postby *jessicalynne on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am

This morning, I was kneeling beside my bed trying to find my glasses that fell on the floor, and my daughter was lying in bed, awake but just lying there.. or so i thought!! I looked up just as she was crawling superfast towards the edge and she went tumbling off the bed before i could get to her. it was like watching it in slow motion! I feel sooo terrible and she has a bump and red mark on her head.. what makes it worse is that this is the second time this has happened, but the first time i was asleep and didnt hear her wake up.

i feel like the worst mommy ever :(
*jessicalynne
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: My 9 month old fell off my bed!!

Postby ashmel on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:33 am

This just makes you the most normal mother ever...and braver than the rest of us who don't post about it! Yes, it totally sucks, but it sounds like your daughter will be just fine. :). I've been really tired recently and I don't think I would always wake up when my daughter did, so I put my mattress on the floor. That way if she does fall off it's a short drop. So if you're concerned about it happening again that's an option.
<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby renka on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 am

[quote="ashmel"]This just makes you the most normal mother ever...and braver than the rest of us who don't post about it![/quote]

I agree! It's happened to me too.
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Annikki on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 am

It happens.....I banged my sons head on the door frame hard .... I think I did it more than once. :oops:

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kapoohhh on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:39 am

It happens to us all.
Wait till you they learn to climb up to your bed on there own and then fall off, climb out of there crib or on your counter or kitchen table . It only has begun.
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shawna C. on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:30 pm

It happened to me too with my first child. He was lying on the bed at around 8 months - he wasn't even bothering to roll over at that point so I wasn't worried. I turned around for a second to grab something from the dresser and heard a "thunk"..He fell right off our bed onto the hardwood floor onto his little charlie brown head! And of course I immediately picked him up with my husband shouting at me not to move him in case he was paralyzed :shock: It was so scary and so upsetting for us and I felt like the worst mom even - it happens to so many of us. He'll be fine, Mama... :)
“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Yup happened to me with all the kids. You would think you would learn after the first but they move so FAST.

It is a reason I never had a change table.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby annelesley39 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Shes done it twice now, once while you were asleep? time to move the mattress onto the floor or baby into a crib?
annelesley39
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby LeftyChef on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:52 am

My daughter flipped herself out of my arms when she was 10 months old and landed on a carpeted floor on her back(I was standing so it was quite a drop). No bumps or bruises but she cried a bit and scared herself(not to mention gave mummy a heart attack). I picked her up, felt all her bones and joints carefully and waited to see if anything showed up. She was right as rain and I chalked it up to one of those things that kids do to scare the crap out of parents.

Oh, I have also bonked her head in doorways while carrying her....I think that's something that all mums do once or twice before they learn to use doorways with a child on their hip.

Not to worry, you are in good company. But perhaps it might be time for baby to sleep in a crib?
=-)
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sonia22 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 pm

It happened to both my kids too but the scary ones are when they are older... more like two to three. I came out of the washroom once to see the feet of my second DS up in the air. He fell down the stairs somersault style :shock: and landed at the bottom on his head. another time he climbed over the gate and landed on his head again. It's a wonder he hasn't broken anything yet. Now he jumps off anything and everything and I spend the whole day telling him not to and giving him time outs.
Sonia22
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mommyx7 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 am

my 2 yr old was told not to jump on his bed so he went and jumped on mine while i was down doing laundry i heard a scream, went running he was bleeeding i cleaned it up put sterie stiches on it, and than the 4 yr old comes in
NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED i was laughing by this point
it woun't be the first or the last :)
7 kids 5 boys 2 girls 18 -3
mommyx7
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby bluerose0602 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm

This has definitely happened to all the older 3 of my kids at that age. I totally expect it to happen to my youngest when he gets older. I just make sure that I have the Arnica or Traumeel cream handy so the bruising and swelling go down quickly. :D

bluerose0602
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby *jessicalynne on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:51 pm

WOW!! glad i'm not the only one... well, not glad for our children though heh :o

i have tried putting her in the crib before but she always wakes up right away. and i really don't think either of us are ready to stop sleeping in the same bed... we are basically joined at the hip lol, it feels like a really big step to have her sleeping away from me
*jessicalynne
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sonia22 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Just do what's comfortable for you. I got one who is like that. He would sleep in his crib till around 12 then wake up and that's it, he won't go back in and he always end up in our bed. So in order to get uninterrupted sleep, I let him sleep with us. We use a lot of pillows and bolsters and barricade the other side of the bed when my DH wakes up and leaves for work.
Sonia22
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 2littleangels on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 am

My lo always ends up in my bed and I use a bed rail as he rolls over:D

2littleangels
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting