KIV Community

Food Allergies and Testing

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Food Allergies and Testing

Postby Annikki on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:59 pm

I need to be walked through this process please. And recommendation for a naturopath and/or doctor would be welcome.

This would be for DD who is 4.

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Food Allergies and Testing

Postby holberry on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Vancouver Island Naturopathic clinic is great. We use Dr. Montroy as our primary care. We have been through the testing with my husband and they continue to help us with food introduction for our 2 year daughter. Very informative and supportive.

Good luck to you !
holberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ada on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Our son was tested for allergies by Dr Gendreau-Reid. With a 3 month referral from our family doctor. She pinpointed exactly what my son is allergic to and within 3 days all of his symptoms had disappeared. We had to provide a background sheet indicating our household (pets/smokers/carpet/heating system), family allergy history, yearly overview of symptoms, and the week long food log. After a quick scratch test (not invasive or painful...no blood or needles) and a consult we had our answer. I highly recommend a visit.
ada
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 am

Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kruk on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:20 am

Dr Peter Lee is our allergist/immunologist and I quite like him a lot. He does a skin test then based on what happens there he sends his patients for blood work to measure the level of antigens in the system to said allergens. The blood work has to be sent to the mainland for work up and takes around 6 weeks to get the results. I think there are only 2 allergists in Vic, so the wait times are long, however, for us we much preferred having our son see an allergist over a naturopath. Not that there's anything wrong with naturopaths, just for us and his level of allergies and needing to carry an epipen we felt more comfortable with an MD.
kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Annikki on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 am

Do you think a drop in clinic acan make the referral.....it could take months to get into our real doctor. :roll:

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kruk on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 am

kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Annikki on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm

DH is going to call the climic we usually frequent as they are the ones that also suggested the possibility of a citrus allergy and see if they can give us a referral. We are goiing to persue this through the doctor first and then possibily then the Naturopath.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support.

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LisaP on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:16 pm

We went to Dr. Gendreau-Reid first but my son ended up with no histamine reactions to anything he was tested for with the skin test. The we went to Dr. Marianne Trevarrow (a naturopath)n and after a quick finger poke blood test we found out he is sensitive to wheat, egg, dairy and broccoli now that we've cut those out his skin looks great! He had really bad eczema before
LisaP
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby marty on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 pm

We are in the same boat at the PP....my son was tested with Dr. Gendreau-Reid and found to have only a mild reaction to lactose. He has wicked dark circles around his eyes (apparently Dr.'s call them allergy shiners) and eczema.He got hives all over his face when he had peanut butter for the second time yet nothing showed up in his testing with the allergist. We are waiting to see the naturopath at the end of the month. I hope they can help us out and pinpoint what he is sensitive to.
marty
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm

We went with Dr. Lee at Hillside and he was great. It took about 6 months to get into a certified allergist though so get on the list soon.

My DD has sulphite allergies that caused breathing problems, chronic cough and chronic sinus issues. Never would have linked that to drinking grape juice (fav juice) and eating raisins. :lol: DS is lactose intollerant.

My only issue with the two Naturopaths is that they were WAY off base. Their standard - everyone must be sensitive to Dairy protein and Wheat their elimination diets were just over the top. We went through SO many elimination diets because of their testing that were all incorrect.

Lactose intollerance can be dealt with lactaid drops. My DS has that and we just treat his milk and icecream and he is OK with hard cheeses.

Lactose intollerance does do the dark circles and runny stools.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby irishcream4me on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 pm

We've gone to both allerists as well as naturopaths for allergy testing. We've done scratch tests and blood tests through allergists as well as provided comprensive histories and had blood tests through naturopaths. Our experience has been that the scratch tests didn't indicate a response unless it was a serious allergy (anaphlaxis). One child was hospitalized due to milk sensitivity but his scratch test came back clear and we were told by the allergist that he could have milk, ?!?! Another child had anaphalaxis which tested positive on both scratch and blood tests by both types of doctors. The blood tests by the naturopaths tested for both immediate and latent response (reactions that occur 6-24hrs following exposure). For us, the latent response testing provided us answers for the eczema, bowel issues, and behaviour changes when the scratch tests indicated there was no allergy. For us, this was the area we wanted answers. The blood tests by the allergists only tested for immediate response. If you have extended medical coverage, I'd recommend seeing a naturopath as most of the cost for the testing would be covered. We saw Dr Kim McQueen and had positive experiences. She also provided us with a treatment plan which included receipes and meal planning(our allergies were food related). I'd be open to chatting more if you have more questions. Good luck in the process, I hope you find answers soon for your daughter :-)
irishcream4me
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby marty on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:52 am

That's who we are waiting to see- Dr. McQueen. I saw her years ago myself and really liked her. I definitely think my little guy has latent response things going on.
marty
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby LisaP on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:12 pm

I was going to add, the wait list for allergists is usually a few months but to get an appointment for a finger prick blood test with Dr. Marianne Trevarrow usually only takes a few days.
LisaP
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Annikki on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:32 pm

We will be seeing Dr. Lee...date unknown but we will call to get on the cancellation list.

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Parenting