KIV Community

1 Year old climbing/jumping on the couch!!!

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

1 Year old climbing/jumping on the couch!!!

Postby neilkat on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Gah!!

My 1 year old just started climbing the couch and finds much delight in jumping on it. Although I hate it, I must admit seeing him so proud of himself for climbing the couch and then giggling when he is jumping, is pretty darn cute. However, I am very concerned with the falling aspect. As he doesn't understand dimensions, as to how far he has before he falls off it worries me. He climb's off the couch with his feet first and tummy on the couch, so that is good, but when he is jumping he gets so close to the edge. Now I am always there to sit him down, and tell him that the couch is for sitting not for jumping, and keep doing this over and over and over again (I am getting exhausted! haha) I worry about taking my attention off him even for a few mins and he climbs the couch and then falls off.

I need suggestions as to try to help him understand he is only to sit on the couch. I know it's possible with repetition he will stop, and this could just be a phase and he'll get over jumping on the couch, but, is there anything else I could try? Any suggestions??
neilkat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: 1 Year old climbing/jumping on the couch!!!

Postby kattnipp on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Around that age I used to say to our girl " we sit down or we get down". She is now 6 and if she sees anyone not sitting on the furniture she tells them in this family we sit down or we get down. Now when she was that age I would take her off the couch while saying it and she did eventually learn that we don't jump on the furniture we sit on it or lay on.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Re: 1 Year old climbing/jumping on the couch!!!

Postby nolan's mom on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 pm

I used to put the cushions on the floor so my ds could jump on them and I didn't have to worry about head injuries. It's not for everyone but he loved it!
nolan's mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting