KIV Community

Eyes affecting ability to focus in school

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Eyes affecting ability to focus in school

Postby nae23 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 am

I am wondering if any other parents have a child in school that struggled with attention do to the inability to focus their eyes at the same time. DS's teacher suggested he see an optometrist to be checked for focus as it may be that his eyes are not focusing at the same time and as a result, he is being distracted.

It is a struggle at times to get him to "focus" on one thing at a time and after his teacher did an exercise with him in class, it appears this may be what is going on. At his parent/teacher conference, the teacher said he recognized 6 letters (he's in K). We were shocked because he recognizes all letters. So after doing an exercise that removed the outlying interference, he focused on the uncovered letter and named them all. That made more sense to us. So I am happy she took the time to try the exercise with him and will be interested to see what the optometrist says.

I guess I am curious to know what is done with a child that has this. Is it a glasses situation to "correct" the trailing eye?

nae23
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Eyes affecting ability to focus in school

Postby Vaccin8tor on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Could be glasses or patch therapy to boost the trailing eye. Basically they patch the good eye to force the trailing eye to strengthen and be the only source of sight. Hopefully you are being referred to Dr. Pegado, he is great with the kids (although can seem rushed).
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby BabyFair on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm

The sooner you can take your child in and get tested, the better. School will get so much easier & enjoyable.
My son has worn glasses since he was two and I'm so glad we got it sorted out early as he is now a very good reader. It's tough when kids get up into later elementary or middle school before they get glasses as they have usually missed out on alot & dont enjoy school as much.
All the best!
Producer of the Vancouver Island Baby Fair September 26 & 27, 2015 at Pearkes Rec Centre

BabyFair
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:22 pm

My daughter has glasses for school to help her eyes focus. She has ADHD as well and the eye doctor said that physical glasses they have found really help ADHD kids "focus" their brain as well as their eyes.

Our eye doctor told me off. He said parents should bring kids in at a year because they can see at that age whether they will have eye issues in future or not.

He also said because I had "lazy eye" with an operation and glasses as well that parents are less likely to bring their kids in young if they have eye issues to avoid the bad memories. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby nae23 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 pm

nae23
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby DrCam.OD on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

It's an older post, but I think that there may be some information here that could be helpful.

'Vision' is a definition that we commonly mistake for just visual acuity. Visual acuity or seeing 20/20 is really one of over a dozen visual skills necessary for efficient vision.

I've seen many people and parents given the wrong impression about vision even though the eye or eyes can see 20/20 (meaning a specifically small target at 20ft).

Where the attention issues can come into play is if the visual system is very inefficient, and essentially requires more energy to operate.

Think of riding a bicycle with flat tires, or in the wrong gear. How long do you think you would maintain that for? Do you think you would quit before the other riders (who had efficient bicycles)?

I'm very sorry to hear of a doctor telling you off about things; that sounds like atrocious bedside manner.

The key part in any case of a learning or attention problem is to have all components of the visual system tested. Just to name a few areas that should be tested, please ask your doctor if they are looking at:
accommodation
binocularity
vergence abilities
tracking
visual processing

This way you can at least rule out these visual conditions that can lead to symptoms and behaviours that are very similar to ADD or ADHD. The last thing anyone wants to see is a child who is medicated or held back due to something that was overlooked. The problem is that often there is a lack of awareness of these issues.

Please see PAVEvision.org or COVD.org to assist with education. This will help you be the best possible advocate for your child.
[b]Dr. Cameron McCrodan, OD
McCrodan Vision Development
Changing Eyes and Lives Every Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pljgXZ_GA
DrCam.OD
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting