KIV Community

Two-year-old and brushing teeth

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Two-year-old and brushing teeth

Postby Spectrum on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 pm

My two-year-old daughter loves to brush her teeth. Well what she calls brushing teeth. She won't let me help her. I am worried she isn't getting them clean enough.

I feel I have tried everything, but she just says no to my help. It gets to the point that she is bawling and I am brushing her teeth while she is crying.

I want some advice on how I can get her to brush properly in a fun way.
Spectrum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Two-year-old and brushing teeth

Postby MommaToTwo on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Have you tried the approach of "let Mommy/Daddy do it and then you can check how well I did"? We do that with ours, because they love to brush and floss, but mostly because they love to suck the toothpaste off the toothbrush :lol:
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kapoohhh on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

We have the independance come out as well.
I find making them sit on the bathroom counter works better... if you do not have a counter in the bathroom use the table in the kitchen or the kitchen counter.
They brush your teeth ... you brush there teeth. You are eye level and it is harder for them to get away. :)
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

From what I remember, I'd count slowly to a number (possibly 12) and they knew when I got to that number it was their turn. A bit of fussing the first few times, but once they learned there was no choice but to wait until that # they quit fussing as they learned it was useless.

When a bit older we also would go on sugar bug hunts - I'd find purple ones for example.

To get them to open their mouths to the right angles you can have them roar like a lion - or clench their teeth together and squeak.

When they're really tired they would lay on their bed to have it done.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LeftyChef on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:31 am

My daughter(age 2) wants her toothbrush all the time! Every time we're in the bathroom she cries for it. I put a dab of paste on and ask her to smile for me, then I brush for her and then let her do it herself for a few minutes. The challenge for me is getting the brush away from her and put back into it's cup. She has such a fit that we've given her a second brush to play with in the living room. Brushing for her is irregular and we've started giving fluoride drops(one every three days) until we can establish a better routine.
Most of the time when you meet resistance for things that aren't negotiable you just have to dig in your heels and make it happen. I have to hold my kid down physically in order to clip her nails. I swear calf roping is easier. The rule around here is Mummy wins. Period.
Best of luck.
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby jaimelr on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:03 pm

I thought it would have been easier for us (brushing) since we have been "brushing" since he was about 7 weeks old and got teeth!!!! (So he should be used to it) but he definitely has days where he fights it. (He is also 2).
So our approach is:
- if he asks for brush to do it himself during the day we let him - but he only gets toothpaste on it once (he loves sucking off the paste - and we use just a tiny drop) (often he wants to do it in the tub before bed),
- twice a day (either morning or lunch and then before bed) I brush his teeth. If he wants a turn he can go before or after me but I make it clear that is his turn or my turn. I also sing one round of Old McDonald to him so he knows it is a limited time in duration. I try and make it fun even if he is fighting / blocking.

I am just hopeful that over multiple days I get all the teeth. I definitely don't aim for perfection every time.

Good luck!
jaimelr
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting