KIV Community

Hair cut phobia in 2 year old

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Hair cut phobia in 2 year old

Postby Mommax4 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 am

Our daughter has had her hair cut a few times when she was younger (around the 1 year old mark) but now..Forget it..she's terrified of the thought of getting her hair cut..She thinks it hurts. Which really, in a 2 year olds perspective, makes sense.
A few months ago I took her to get her hair cut and she completely freaked out in the chair, the poor woman couldnt even step near her and that was with her on my knee. She's seen us get our hair cuts and is fine unless its Mommy.
straight to the point...she NEEDS her hair cut. Its shaggy and needs to be dealt with.
How in the world do you get a 2 year old over this. Our boys were never ever like this.

I was thinking maybe Lizzy Lee and Me? How are they with these kinda things?
Mommax4

Re: Hair cut phobia in 2 year old

Postby kapoohhh on Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 am

Is your child really verbal... does she talk and understand everything you say.
I know for sensory reasons in certain kids or adults you do not call it hair cutting... Cutting is when you are bleeding.
Call it getting your hair fixed up or trimmed.
Bribe with food if she is food oriented. Make a big deal about Cheezies or chocolate :) even if she is eating her hair with it.
Sometimes Hairdressers can be loud place to go for a calm event... you could find someone to come into your house as well to trim her hair.

good luck
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mommax4 on Tue May 01, 2012 1:16 pm

We've tried using different terms.."Getting her hair pretty, fixing it, getting it done, trimmed etc" But anything to do with her hair..forget it.
Im thinking maybe putting a strawberry shortcake movie on while getting her hair done would work..we don't watch a lot of tv and that would be a HUGE treat...maybe strawberry shortcake and chocolate :lol: Along with whoever doing her hair being very discrete with the scissors...
hrmm
Mommax4

Postby ashmel on Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby NLMD on Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I have had the same problem with DS 3.5 since he was 2. We have tried EVERYTHING except having someone come to our house to try. We have done Lizzy Lee with no success. The hairdresser wasn't patient enough and kept cutting when he was squiming and crying. I would say he needs a break and she contined on. That was AFTER explaining in detail his issue with hair cuts.
NLMD
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat May 05, 2012 6:10 pm

My DD didn't get their hair cut by anyone but me until DD was 7. With DS I still cut it. Got a video out of the library. It was too freaky and with ADHD she doesn't sit.

DS hates to have his nails cut too.

With DD I just did her bangs and her ends while she watched TV. With bangs wet a bit bring them all towards the nose, rest your finger on the bridge of her nose holding bangs and cut across. That way they aren't too short and are straight.

With the ends I did the same.

DS is easy. I find one section in the top and choose a length and then bring all hair straight up and cut to match. I did that with DD too and it created an even layer look.

You may find a salon that has entertainment for kids but I never could find one.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shanny on Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Oceania, there is a place in Nanaimo ... http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/direc ... -kids.html
Shanny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mommax4 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:43 pm

We ended up actually getting it done!!!!

Friday afternoon she got a special new giant plush strawberry shortcake doll which was just amazing to her. So we went to get her haircut with strawberry shortcake. There was 3 or 4 kids in front of her which was perfect because she watched all these little kids get their hair cut with no fuss and she saw it didn't hurt.
She was called and she freaked...she wouldnt sit in the chair...after about 5 minutes of me holding her, I sat in the chair with her on my lap facing me and holding strawberry shortcake..The amazing manager brought over a sucker and she almost forgot where she was because we were talking about the colors, and flavors..then amazingly enough, Strawberry shortcake wanted some sucker..So she let the lady comb her hair and she was good...So while we played with her doll and the sucker I gave the woman the go ahead to start snipping...about 5 minutes into it she looked at the woman...looked at the ground...saw her hair..looked at me...and was VERY shocked...But let us continue on with the rest of the hair cut.

So, we left with a pretty princess hair cut..a strawberry shortcake doll with sticky sucker all over her face and a VERY happy and proud 2 year old.

I'am *SO* happy that this fear has been conquered!!!!

YAY! :D
Mommax4

Return to Parenting