KIV Community

7y talking about throwing up

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

7y talking about throwing up

Postby renka on Sun May 20, 2012 6:38 pm

My dd is in an extra-curricular activity of mixed ages and genders.
They took a break during one of the classes and another older girl started talking about how you can make yourself throw up.

My dd asked me about it later that night and I have to admit I was in shock and had nothing to say. I stayed calm and asked her to let me think about why someone would do that and I would get back to her.

To be honest - I have NO IDEA how to approach this. She is very curious about it and doesn't understand why someone would do it. I have told her that I also don't understand why people do that (and I really don't understand much about eating disorders so this is true) but I explained to her that people who do make themselves throw up need help because it is not healthy.

She is still asking me Why, so obviously my answer is not satisfying her.

I am looking for any words of advice.

What would you say to your 7 year old if they asked why anyone would want to make themselves throw up?
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: 7y talking about throwing up

Postby StitchedUp on Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm

I always answer my children truthfully. I would explain that some people do this as a way of controlling their body weight, and that it is a medical disorder that needs treatment like any illness.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Spectrum on Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 pm

There are other reasons why people would make themselves throw up. If someone ingested poison, if they are drunk (not a good kid example.) I did it one when I ate some chicken fingers at a ski hill and noticed they hadn't been cooked all the way though. I figured I'd do that instead of getting sick.

And also the bulimia thing.

If a kid asked me I would say to get rid of something bad in their stomach (poison), if they felt sick and knew they were going to throw up and didn't want to wait, or some people throw up to because they have a disease that makes them fear gaining wait.

Then I would talk about how unpleasant it is to throw up and I wouldn't want to ever go through feeling on purpose.

If the conversation was still on weight I would go into more detail about bulimia and say people with the disease are usually not thin and are of average or overweight. Purging is part of a disease and it doesn't make you thin.
Spectrum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Mon May 21, 2012 3:51 am

I would also bring this up to the coordinators of the activity so they can also address this. Even though your child is younger because it is a mixed age group it is a good time for all of them to learn.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby Colesmum on Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am

maybe I'm being innnocent here, have you asked her the context? I'm wondering if maybe the convo was a bit more kid-style.....like throwing up to get out of school, or something of the sort? I hate to think that kids that age even know about purging, let alone think it a viable option for weight control. Granted I have boys, but I've had many questions that I originally thought would be leading to a heavy discussion, that wound up being based on an innocent conversation with buddies....I hope that's the case for your daughter :)
Colesmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Mon May 21, 2012 7:08 am

PP I think you would be completely shocked how young girls start talking about purging now a days.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Return to Parenting