KIV Community

Do you know of a good Peadiatrician?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Do you know of a good Peadiatrician?

Postby NLMD on Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 pm

DS is 3.5 and we just had our first appointment with a Peadiatrician in Victoria regarding possible Autism spectrum (GP thinks it's a good possibility so he put through the referral) and we are struggling with many challenging bahviours. The Pead that we were referred to was away so we had a "fill in" and to say the least we weren't happy with her bedside manor "He's fat.. look at him. He can stand to lose a few pounds" Needless to say we were shocked. But ontop of that we felt she shrugged a lot of our concerns off like it was no big deal because "My son was the same and now hes a lawyer". We were left with "Go ahead and see QA for a bahaviour assessment and I will see you in 6 months". I made another appt with our family GP in hopes of being reffered to another Pead for a 2nd opinion. After looking up on RATEMD the ratings for the pead we saw and the pead that was on vacation we decided we aren't interested in seeing either of them. They both have terrible ratings with people having smiliar experiences as us.

SO my question is do you know of a good Pead so I can ask my GP for a refferal to a specific one? Have you seen a Pead in Vancouver? We are considering that as another option if the wait time will be less.

I am well past my breaking point and need some answers ASAP. I understand that this is a long process and the QA assessment will take awhile but we can't keep living life the way we are.
NLMD
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Do you know of a good Peadiatrician?

Postby OnceHarmony on Sat May 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Our DD saw Steve Kent.

He had a really good manner with her. We found him really thorough but quick (if that makes sense) and he told us he would write a letter for her admission into Harvard when she is older :lol: so he has a really good manner with parents too :) (oh, and he was easy on the eyes :wink: ).
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 am

We see Dr. Janice Manthorne, she is very easy to talk to and doesn't rush you through. ;-)
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby D&J&L's_Mommy on Sun May 27, 2012 8:30 am

I second Dr.Janice Manthorne, she was so unbelievable wonderful to us- our son was prenatally diagnosed with Trisomy 18 (which is considered incompatible with life) and had he been born alive Dr. Manthorne was going to be his peadiatrician, we met with her before he was born to discuss our care plan and his hospice needs. She was hands down the most amazing doctor we met throughout our journey with our son, we met more doctors than I could possibly count during my pregnancy and she is the only one who really stands out for me. Aside from my midwife she was the only doctor that truly cared about our son and shed tears for our situation and actually called him by name rather than referring to him as the fetus like most doctors did, and she went out of her way to make our experience easier by coming to our house so that we did not have to wait in an office full of healthy new babies which was very difficult for us to do at that time. I am sorry for going on about it but I truly can not say enough about her- she was very thorough and knowledgeable and also very compassionate, I would highly recommend her.

D&J&L's_Mommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby KatieS on Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 pm

:-)
Last edited by KatieS on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KatieS
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby secretgarden on Sun May 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I saw Dr Elliott while in emergency with my newborn and he was fantastic. Very upbeat, funny but still to the point and knowledgeable. He didn't brush aside any of my concerns and gave me his office number to call of I had any concerns. He definitely didn't have to do that. I have a referral now to see him with my son for emotional/behavioral issues and I'm looking forward to the appointment.
secretgarden
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sun May 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby OnceHarmony on Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Just to clarify what I meant by quick as I think it could be confusing. He figured out what was up with her within seconds of seeing her and then proceeded to take the time to throughly back up his initial quick assessment.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby NLMD on Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Thank you everyone. I checked both on RateMD and they both came back with much better ratings then the Pead we saw.

Sercretgarden- Nothing comes up for a Dr.Elliott in Victoria :? I tried spelling it a few ways but still nothing. Do you know where his or her office is located?
NLMD
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby secretgarden on Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 pm

I think he's fairly new, my gp didn't know of him. He's located at the bottom part of Helmcken.
secretgarden
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 am

We also saw Dr. Kent and were very happy! (his receptionist was a different story, what a bag) We would definitely go back to Dr. Kent again though in the future. He was very thorough and took the time with us, which was nice. We didn't feel rushed at all.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Beccak on Tue May 29, 2012 8:21 am

We see Dr Jennifer Balfour. She is awesome! She takes the time to answer my questions and our appts are never rushed.
Beccak
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby happygirlmichelle on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

We have seen a few peds so I will give you our experiences.

Dr Breksis (however it is spelled)- I was not impressed. Nothing outstandingly awful but nothing good either.

Dr Spacey- definately pass if you care at all about bedside manner. I wasn't impressed with anything about him.

Dr Popkin- I'm sure he is nice but I just can't like him for some reason.

Dr. Manthorn- We have never seen her personally bu I have heard both good and bad. If you think the issue may be Celiac she would be a good ped. My good friend's children see her about thier celiac but she has missed things such as not testing kidney function enough.

Dr Kent- He is quick but personable. He sent my son for all the right tests and he was willing to refer him without any hesitation. I do like him but I found that he- how do I put this- was very doctory and by the books. But really he is my 2nd favorite.

Dr Tulsiani- In my experience he has been the best. He has that intuition that goes beyond medical textbooks. In the end I had all my kids transfered to him because he seemed not only smart but wise. I think he has 5 stars on RateMD. His office is a touch unconventional (not totally kid centered- no frills) but it is worth it.
happygirlmichelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting