KIV Community

omega 3 and 6 for 5 year old

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

omega 3 and 6 for 5 year old

Postby blessed with 2 beautiful angels on Sun May 27, 2012 10:45 am

Hi I am wondering if this will help my daughter. She loves dance and school related activities but has a hard time concentrating and not being really silly. Is there a safe vitamin type suppliment. what foods have helped any ifo would be helpful. I belive she is just happy and full of life. With no learning disabiltiy
blessed with 2 beautiful angels
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: omega 3 and 6 for 5 year old

Postby blessed with 2 beautiful angels on Mon May 28, 2012 6:56 am

no one has helpful food ideas or vitamins and suppliments they feed their kids. good tasting muffins for on the go etc thanks
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jeanbean78 on Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi there,

I would advise giving her more protein, especially at breakfast time. Eggs would be great, or even leftovers from dinner. Soups with meat in them or a bit of chicken or fish. Omega 3's could certainly be helpful for her. She may also be a bit nervous and this is her way of expressing that? You could also consider testing to see if she is sensitive to any foods. I would totally agree with you that learning disability is not the issue. So sad that kids are labelled as such when they are just being kids.

Hope that helps!
jeanbean78
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't know your daughter however mine has ADHD and we would never even guessed she did if I hadn't been exposed through family members. She was reading and adding/subtracting at 3 so no issues with her intelligence.

There are quite a few things that help her brain be more focused that would work for kids without it too.

We don't do the omega supplements but she has been eating the omega's in salmon since she was 2. She gets it 2x a week.

No artificial food coloring. We also avoid sulphites and dairy because they make her concentration worse.

Protein with every meal, especially at breakfast. No simple carbs without protein.

Remembering day to day stuff is difficult and she gets distracted so I have to remind her a lot to do tasks so we use lots of check lists and charts.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby blessed with 2 beautiful angels on Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm

thank you everyone so far. I am going to do the charts and make sure she has more protien and omegas. any other helpful protiens besides eggs and meat.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Thu May 31, 2012 6:16 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tracy on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:00 am

I am by no means saying your dd has adhd - mine does thought and she has a liquide fish oil suppliment that she takes every morning in her juice, also like someone else said NO preservitives, chemicles, colouring ect -EVER - it causes a huge change in her behavoir. You mentioned that she has no LD, most kids with ADHD have above average IQ's - mine is gifted in math, and as long as she is moving alot will sit and read with me for periods of time. We homeschool so her day is very active :D She does a physical acitity every day (ballet, gymnastics, tap ect) 6 days a week - keeps us sane, but she also spends a good two or three hours a day outside.... (like we all used to) again it makes life so much better around here :D she is just a happy kid, but busy - very busy!
tracy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting