KIV Community

Toddler and newborn

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Toddler and newborn

Postby LeftyChef on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm

OK, this is going to sound dumb......but here goes anyway.

I have a 28 month old and a newborn. My husband is working and often away. I'm tired of staying home to play. I'm not the kind of parent that believes that kids need to be enrolled in a million lessons and activities to have a full life. Plus I don't have the extra money for it. I'd like to take my toddler out to play a bit more but I don't know what to do with the newborn. Going to the playground is hard because I can't just park the baby in a stroller and chase my two year old but she is too little to just let go on the playground. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of a place that is truly secure that I can just let her go play independently while I watch from the sidelines with the baby. She doesn't always listen when I call her and plays reasonably well with other kids. I'd love to go to the pool but that is very difficult unless I have a second adult with me. I'm at a bit of a dead end here and need some practical solutions. I live in the Colwood area so things closer to home would be nice. Activities that she could be dropped off at and picked up later are also an option but I've noticed that a lot of these types of things require parental supervision or participation.
Anyone else going through this have any ideas?
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Toddler and newborn

Postby Newficaper on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 pm

If you are a military family why not take advantage of the casual care at the MFRC? $9.00 for three hours of casual care, they have lots of fun with activities, it's secure and the people who work there are great with the kids. My youngest goes there as much as we can get her there. And it gives you a nice little break and it gives your toddler a chance to socialize with others with adult supervision.
Newficaper
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ashmel on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm

If your baby will tolerate a carrier that's the route I would go...you're mobile enough to chase your toddler, and your baby is safe and secure...and will probably have fun watching, too. :)
<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Myshkin on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm

What about Kindergym? I suppose a lot might be closed for the summer but usually you can find one most days at the various rec centres. Drop-in which is nice. Low commitment.

What about Hillside mall. I assume they still have the playplace there. That used to be a lifesaver. We'd go to the food court for a little snack, then the play place and then maybe the petstore to admire the hamsters :)

Crumsby's. Tumblebums?

A lot of the wheelchair accesible/special needs adapted playgrounds are really good for toddlers because they have ramps instead of stairs and climbers. There's a really good at a school in Fernwood, near Shelbourne and Bay. The name escapes me but maybe someone else will remember.
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Sir Winston Churchill
Myshkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ashmel on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm

<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Blacken on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

What about the Strongstart programs? We used to go when our kids were that age and it was great. Our toddler could do her thing and I could watch our newborn easily. THey are usually in the mornings and offer a snack as well.
Other than that, maybe get comfortable using a sling for your newborn? When you go to parks or anything, that might be a way for you to be able to supervise your toddler easier.
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby chanterelle on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 am

When my boys were little, I'd bring our stroller to parks. The baby could lie flat and sleep, and I could chase around after big brother. We went to more out of the way parks (well, more tiny neighbourhood parks) rather than the big popular parks, so we were often the only ones there and I felt comfy leaving the stroller 10 - 15 feet away. I also put the baby in a carrier so he could snuggle in close and sleep and I still had my hands free.

But start exploring parks - some have great toddler structures (most Saanich parks have two "sides" - the big kid side and the little kid side). Even my 16 month old can climb up and down and have a good playtime without much help from me on those structures.

We also went to StrongStart, but that's nearly over for the year.

chanterelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StitchedUp on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:28 am

The accessible playground in Fernwood is at Victor School, at Denman and Victor (or Forbes). The small climber at Beacon Hill is also good for young ones. I found that more often than not my newborn just slept in the stroller while her older brother played and climbed. Beacon Hill is busy on the weekends, but I've found it is usually quiet in the morning through the week. He really liked building "roads" and digging in sand or wood chips, so I always took some beach toys with us, too. Both children would be so happily occupied that sometimes I yearned for a comfy space where I could stretch out and nap!
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby LeftyChef on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. Baby will tolerate a carrier, but I'm the one who has issues with it. It makes me feel like I'm pregnant again and I had a really hard time walking during the pregnancy. I also miss the play place at Hillside mall and just today was lamenting that it's a shame that more malls don't have an area like this for very young children to play. It would certainly be a draw for more people to come to the mall. Particularly on wet or chilly days.
I will most likely take advantage of the casual child care it the MFRC daycare. I meant to look into that a while ago but was too busy feeling lousy at the end of my pregnancy. The day care itself is only ten steps from my house and would be very convenient.
Thanks again for all your info.
Cheers.
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby newmom2006 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 am

I'm not sure which area you live in but near our place we've got a great little park (Sierra Park, off San Juan Avenue) and it's a great place to bring a toddler plus a newborn with you. there is a toddler playground, plus one for a bit older kids. The play areas are literally side by side so you can sit on one of the benches and be able to watch your DD while she's playing in the sand or on the slides, but also can see her if she ventures off to the bigger structure. It's not overly busy, but I find most of the kids and parents that visit the playground are very nice and very considerate of others, and if you need a hand with watching one or the other for a second, they'd be more than happy to help you out. :D
newmom2006
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LJ's Mom on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 am

There is a fully-fenced park in James Bay just across from MacDonald Park ball fields. it's awesome because it's totally enclosed and you can let your kids play without fearing they will run off. I found it great when I had a newborn and a toddler.
LJ's Mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby SunnySof on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

I hear your dilemma as it's one I've just lived through (although my DD was a bit older than yours)!

Try the Sooke Family Resource Society playgroups- Tues and Thursday at Wale Rd. and the Ruth King portable. Sharon is very welcoming, and the space is safe for babes and toddlers. Plus, they are running through most of the summer, unlike a lot of playgroups.

Here's the link:
http://www.sfrs.ca/child-development/pa ... -drop-ins/

The Strongstart at Ruth King is running through the summer too.

Vic West Community association is also running a playgroup on Wed and Fridays. I don't know what the set up is like for the babies, but it's in the gym, I think, so your toddler can run around safely.

Good luck! The next step is figuring out where to go with a mobile baby and toddler!
SunnySof
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting