KIV Community

5 year old boy - baby talk

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

5 year old boy - baby talk

Postby harmony on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am

My 5 year old intermittantly pretends he's a baby throughout the day.
He talks in baby talk...with a falsetto voice, and mis-pron0unces words on purpose.

I am not overly concerned...don't really play into it, but I also don't demand he speak "normally".

My spouse, on the other hand, is very concerned & gets quite worked up. He tells him to talk normally and stop acting like a baby.

Anybody have a similar experience with child or spouse?
harmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: 5 year old boy - baby talk

Postby StitchedUp on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:20 am

Our five-year-old daughter does this occasionally. I'm sure it's a phase she'll outgrow. It's only something she does at home (I asked her kindergarten teacher), and we neither make a big deal out of it nor condone it.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Very normal. As long as your child can speak in age-appropriate language I would not be concerned. Carrying on without calling attention to it works well. If it happens a lot, or outside of your home you could remind him that outside of home he needs to use his "usual" way of speaking.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 pm

You could be thankful he doesn't pretend he is a dog. :lol: I had a nephew who went through that phase at 5 and he would be embarrassed to be reminded at 10.

Seems normal to me though. The more it is discouraged by dad though the longer he will probably do it. Kids just seem to be that way.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kapoohhh on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Be thankful it is baby talk, the stages they go through... The dog stage was just awful with my daughter... barking at people in the mall. You have to love little girls. Then they grow up and talk back.
The step daughter does baby talk and she is 14.... and nobody corrects her. It is annoying.
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shanny on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 pm

My 6 year old son & his friend love doing this! Seriously annoying but they are having fun and not hurting anyone. Bugs my dh too... funny how it's okay for him (our ds) to pretend to be a "bad guy" but not a baby! I tell my dh to let him be!
Shanny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting