KIV Community

Help with my DD

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Help with my DD

Postby OnceHarmony on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 am

My DD is taking music lessons. She enjoys herself at class and does a good job while there but getting her to practice at home is impossible. You can lead a kid to their instrument but you can't make them play.

Soooo, how can she get motivated to practice or do we just call it quits for awhile and see if she asks to go back to it and with that comes practicing or does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks. :)
It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future ― Yogi Berra
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Help with my DD

Postby StitchedUp on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 am

Our son first asked to take violin lessons when he was four. We rented a violin and found him a great teacher. All we wanted was for him to enjoy himself and maybe develop his musicality a bit more (he had already been doing Orff at the VCM for a year, plus his preschool had a weekly music class with a teacher). He probably only spent half his lesson time actually working on the violin and the rest just hanging out with his teacher, talking about and listening to music and playing games. He never practiced at home. After a few months, he was ready to stop.

Last year, at age seven, he wanted to start violin again. This time around we had higher expectations of what he'd get out of his lessons, because we would be making more of an investment in the process and we felt that at his age it was reasonable to expect some commitment on his part. We made sure he understood that once he started lessons, he'd have to practice regularly. He was very keen, so we bought a violin and found a teacher to come each week. On occasion he's needed nudging to keep up his practicing, but we also have phases where he goes off and plays his violin on his own just for fun. If he ever loses interest, we'll let him stop and save the violin for his little sister.

If your daughter is young and her teacher doesn't seem concerned that she's unprepared or not progressing, I'd be inclined to let it go for now and just be glad that she enjoys her time in class.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Not wanting to practice an instrument even though enjoying the lessons is very common with young children. Our child wanted to play the violin at 3. We waited until she was 5 (and she had asked repeatedly to play the violin). She loves the lessons, enjoys playing during the lessons and learning new pieces, enjoys performing at recitals.... and until 1 year ago (after 3 years of lessons) she still did not enjoy/take seriously her practice time. This is all part of being young. Even if the practices are short (10 to 15 min and you may have to remind and coax) if she loves the violin it is probably worth continuing with it. What does her violin teacher suggest?
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for your advice StitchedUp and Samandemma.

Thanks Samandemma. It's nice to know this is normal.

I haven't talked to her teacher about it yet as I came here for advice first, of course. :lol:
It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future ― Yogi Berra
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting