KIV Community

I am so confused about my daughter

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

I am so confused about my daughter

Postby shortkakebc on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

I have a 5.5 yr old dd and up until recently was seemingly fully potty trained now all of a sudden she is peeing and pooping her self , when i asked her if she knew she was pooping she said no . i dont know if i believe her or not, these "accidents " have been happening for some time now . I am going to seek the advice of the peds dr we will be seeing for a seperate issue. but i was wondering if any one had some ideas of what it could be .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: I am so confused about my daughter

Postby OnceHarmony on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 pm

What's going on in her life right now? Any stresses? How much control does she have over her life? I have found that potty issues usually are a way to gain some control over their life. Good luck. It must be frustrating.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby monikah on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Usually a behavior change like this comes on when a child is stressed. Any changes in her life?
monikah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby shortkakebc on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 am

no real big changes . also when she wasn't full on pooping herself she always had a bit of poop in her panties , almost like there is no control and doesnt know she is going until she has already started to go . as for control , she has lots , i dont schedule every minute of her day, she is pretty much free to do as she wishes .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mylifearemykids on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi there, my 6 year old recently went through the same thing. No changes, no stressful situations. She did it for about a month and then just all of a sudden stopped.

She also did not know she was doing it.

No advice but hugs.
mylifearemykids
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby shortkakebc on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 pm

i sure hope she out grows it again soon , she goes into grade one this year and i can't have that happen at school and her be humiliated . I am going to a pediatrician for her tummy (complains at least once every 2 weeks if not more often ) that her tummy hurts and for no reason . so i am going to mention this to the dr and see what he thinks .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby saucy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:05 pm

She could be constipated and "leaking" (encopresis) re: the pooping issue. The peeing herself - could be an emotional kind of thing - school ending, maybe she is embarrassed re pooping her pants, or if there is some other kind of stress in her life. The 2 times my DS had toileting regressions were both related to relatively normal life events - but times of change/stress. Hopefully if you can get the pooping issue sorted out you can deal with the peeing also.
saucy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby workinmom77 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:21 am

My son had the same issue -- we eventually figured out he was lactose intolerant, which was causing severe constipation.

When he finally had to go, it hurt so much he would fight it and fight it.

Soft poo would leak around the big poop, staining his underwear.

We would sometimes poop his pants in his sleep, when he could no longer fight to keep the big poop in.

And eventually, he lost a certain amount of control over his bowels, since the muscles weren't used to having to hold poo in anymore (since it was so big and constipated.)

We put him on lactose-free milk and limited his other dairy, giving him Lactaid when he did get cheese or ice cream.

It is much, much, much better now. He hasn't had an accident in 6 months.

Good luck -- and in the meantime, try putting her on lactose-free milk and see what happens.
workinmom77
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 am

We went through the same thing with my ds last year. He all of sudden just started peeing his pants. He kept saying he didn't have to go and then 10 minutes later he'd wet his pants. He also pooped in them a couple of times as well. He would try to hide it by coming in and changing his clothes. I think he thought he'd get into trouble. I told him that as long as he told me he did it, he wouldn't get into trouble but I was tired of doing laundry and finding all the clothes smelling like pee or poop.

I don't know what it was with him. I think part of it was that he was just having so much fun playing outside that he didn't want to take a break to use the washroom. We finally had to tell him, not ask him, to go to the bathroom every couple of hours. He'd whine and say he didn't have to go, but inevitibly, he did go. That seems to have taken care of the problem. I'm not sure if its always about stress. I think kids just go through phases.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby shortkakebc on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm

i know its not a lactose issue we have had her tested for lactose tolerance. and when she does poop in the toilet its big poops , i go see a pediatrician tomorrow and am going to bring it up to him . she complains her tummy hurts and wants to throw up but doens't at least once or twice every 2 weeks so maybe this is related maybe its not. she wasn't full on pooping pants until school ended but she still always had a little poop in her panties before going poop .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby workinmom77 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Sounds exactly like ds -- when he finally went there was tonnes.

It may be some other allergy.

Good luck to you!
workinmom77
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby angela dawn on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi,
OUr 5 yr old had poo issues as well. He was consitipated as well and would spend so much time in the can. Both at home and at daycare. He was scared of the big poo and would hold it in all day and complain of tummy issues. We started giving him mineral oil and it has worked wonders for him. Totally new kid, not in pain, much happier. It sounds like your girl is regressing and Im sure in time and wiht patience she will start going to the bathroom when she needs too, in the mean time, I would recommend putting a pantyliner in the back of her underwear to save her undies. Ifshe leaks, then you just have to change the liner. was the best advice I was given from another mom. I hope things get better for you guys :)
angela dawn
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby shortkakebc on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Well the pediatrician believes her tummy issues and her potty issues are in fact related to Encopresis so now onto treatment and retraining her .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting