KIV Community

Siblings bickering!

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Siblings bickering!

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 am

They are driving me absolutely nuts. All they do is fight with each other. They are 6.5 and 3.5 (almost 4). I am at a loss. They dont dislike each other. They do play nicely sometimes, but it ALWAYS ends in screaming fights and tears. (the two of them, not me :lol: )

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Siblings bickering!

Postby Benjorsam on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Same thing is happening here. Its the one thing I don't like about summer vacation. And we've been keeping busy. We either hike, swim or go to the beach every day but the fighting still continues. I hate it.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Theyre 2.5yrs apart - just over 2.5 yrs anyways. They fight over the swing. They fight over the favorite doll, they fight over who is going to get to go first, they fight over a favorite colored cup.

Im trying to teach them that it is OK to disagree, but it is NOT ok to scream at the top of your lungs because you dont get what you want. So far, no luck :roll:

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I might just have to do that. I swear, its rediculous.

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Oh, and it doesnt help that my annoyingly perfect neighbor across the back fence likes to give me dirty looks and comments like "stop the yelling' in a rediculous tone of voice every time my kids yell. Im about ready to tell her to keep her $#&% on her side of her ugly fence :twisted:
I should add that she only has ONE. And her dd is 17. so she totally doesnt get the sibling arguing.

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby angela dawn on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:10 pm

I have boys same age as your girls. They not only yell at each other but physcially fight. They go to the same daycare and seem to get along there, as soon as they get in my car they start fighting. I have to separete them at times. Dinner time, I have them sit at different spots, one at the table, one at the kitchen island. There is a lot of time outs on the steps. to take a break. Lucky my oldest (5) is so chill, he lets some things slide. My youngest is strong willed, it takes a different parenting approach. anyway, sometimes, I want to pull my hair out too.....long post to say....I feel for ya.....
angela dawn
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovemy2girls on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:17 pm

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovetheisland on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 am

I could have written your post since we are struggling with the same thing here and our kids are 6.5 yrs and 3. My kids really do love each and play really well together... sometimes... but lately it feels like the majority of the time they are fighting and screaming. Problem is that they always want to be together though so I can't seperate them, no matter how hard I try. The newest thing is that when I try to intervene and get mad at one of them for bugging the other one then the other one sticks up for the one I am getting mad at. LOL. Drives me crazy. We went camping on the weekend and could have had such a good weekend but their fighting tainted the whole weekend and left my DH and I extremely irritated and impatient. I am just happy that they do go to seperate daycare and camps during the day so they get a little break from each other. I am sorry to see others are struggling with this as well but it does make me feel a little better that it isn't just my kids ;)
lovetheisland
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Max on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 am

I hate to say it, but this is just the beginning. :D Mine are 7, and almost 10, and at least now I can say that they are getting less physical and more verbose. My older two (twins) really started to get into high-level fights around 3-4. DOTED on their baby sister until SHE was about 3-4 and ever since then we have about 4-5 dustups a day.

Not much you can do except reinforce the cooling off and talking it out, although with the youngness of yours it's really about separating them and timeouts until they can both start to moderate themselves. Occasionally I would step back and let them fight it out, but with the boys it became pretty obvious that they would fight to the death if I didn't step in.

Mine are still really, really close and hang out most of them time, which amazes me, if someone called me a 'stupid, dumb, grossio' a few times a week I'd give them the finger!
Don't give a poop about a catchy sig...

~Max~
Max
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby lovemy2girls on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:34 am

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting