KIV Community

Afraid of my 5 year old sons reaction...taking away his xbox

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Afraid of my 5 year old sons reaction...taking away his xbox

Postby harmony on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Long story short 5 year old has become very entranced with his xbox over this past year. I've limited the playing time, to a per day limit...and he typically complies (not without a little fuss) to this.
It's become my "go to" discipline item...ie...if he does not cooperate to reasonable demands...he looses the privilege of playing games. Usually a temper tantrum ensues, as does begging, pleading...and then name calling etc :(

I'm not pleased with his attitude - but realize that this may be an outlet for him. He's not overly social, and he is enrolled in day camps (two parents working). This may be how he winds down ... ???

Tonight, his games will be taken away & I'm hoping for light at the end of the tunnel. I really would like him to play more...without a game center...in the back yard, in his room, with the multitude of toys he has... after all it is summer...but he wakes up talking about game characters, etc.

Has anyone experienced "addiction" to games? How do I curb it? Should I curb it? I am at a loss here.

Thanks for your feedback.
harmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Afraid of my 5 year old sons reaction...taking away his

Postby OnceHarmony on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:12 pm

CURB IT!!!!!!!

:D I seem adament don't I?

I'll say it again. CURB IT!!!!!

And to go even further, downsize his multitude of toys.

5 years old (to me) is far too young for an Xbox (well, any electronic games to me).

My DD does play games on the computer so I'm not a saint but she doesn't have a problem shutting them off. If she did, they would be gone.

I'm reading the most AMAZING book to help me with my parenting woes. I wasn't ready to share it yet as I'm still reading it but it has already made a world of difference. It's called Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne. I got it out of the library. It speaks to me like no other parenting book I've read.

Good luck. Parenting is hard.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kapoohhh on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 pm

With the weather the way it is... I would limit it to not very much for the summer. There are so many things to do. I do it all the time. I cut off internet to the 13 year old or Ban my 9 year old son for games for weeks... it is amazing he finds things to do :)

Find or ask him what else he likes to do..
What is in your backyard ??
Is there a small pool or trampoline, sandbox, outdoor toys, hammock to read on..... does he like bike riding , soccer.
It does not have to cost much either if none of these work or your space is small.
Get a Refridgerator box from any big box store... for even for the summer... he could draw on it, make a fort.
Maybe get a project going of painting something outside... rocks or find some old furniture he can paint with washables for Free off used Victoria.. you can always get rid of it later.
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 am

My boys are 6 and LOVE playing games on the computer. One of them in particular is really bad with it.

At one point, during the school year, I just told them no more games, period. I stuck to my guns and didn't let them on the computer. They had tantrums the first couple of days, but then they kind of just forgot about it and stopped asking to play.

Now that it is summer, they asked to play again, and I let them. However, we have a time limit, and when it's time to get off they have to do it without having a fit. If they have a fit, they don't get the computer the next day. It took a few days, but they figured it out and rarely have tantrums now. They get their games for a little bit, but the rest of the day they are outside playing and it seems to be working for us. I don't want couch potato kids who never see the light of day, but I also appreciate that they love games and don't want to deny them of them completely.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:19 pm

My DS (5) earns his ps3 time, usually 20 minutes every week or two. He has to do his words (reading in English) and his Jump Math book and then when he gets to certain levels he gets it as a reward.

He loves Lego Star Wars but really can only play it with an adult.

We have the Jump Math books and we do the next years books in the summer and then through the year to give them a huge head start with school. They also have to learn/keep up on their English reading at home.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tracy on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 am

I second Simplicity Parenting - best "parenting" book I have ever read -it has been re-read a few times :-D My kids do not have computer games, but they do have a DSI, for long car trips -I am not perfect, they also get 20 min a day on the computer - they have to earn it. (with behaviour) We do not have cable best thing we ever lost LOL.....I have found myself, that the less "stuff" we have the happier my kids are. I get rid of it when they are not around, and they do not even notice (not the stuff they acutally like). Just a thought - I would not ditch the X-box overnight, but start to limit it, severly, would be a start, then one day just have it be gone - it will cause problems, of course, for a week or two - then it will be over. But that is just my own personal granola munching opinion and it would not work in every house I know that :)
tracy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 am

OP, how did it go?

If you are looking for opinions.....
I agree that he is too obsessed with the gaming system - particularly for a 5 year old who needs a lot of gross motor movement.
I think you are right that he needs to get outside and he needs to play with toys - to make up his own play is a really important skill and if he doesn't learn it now I am sure it will be harder when he is older.

Personally, I also think 5 is too young for much of a gaming system.
My 15yo has an X-box because he bought it himself. Its in his room so he often spends a bit of time at night playing it (after the rest of us are settled down to a movie or in bed) - but all day is active and busy.

I know what you mean that his day is busy and this may be his way of winding down - but at 5 he needs to wind down in an "unwired" way. Good for you for even thinking about this!
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby harmony on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 pm

I took it away and was pleasantly surprised with the result. He didn't really harp too much on me! We enjoyed the sun and I regained control. I think what I'll do for now is have the xobx as a weekend activity, to the restrained time which me and my partner agree upon (40 min/day).

I am all about parenting books & will make a point to check Simplicity parenting out! Awesome!
harmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting