KIV Community

prank phone calls- harmless or no?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

prank phone calls- harmless or no?

Postby botticelli babe on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:26 pm

my dd is 12 and the big thing for her age group (apparently) is prank phone calls.
i've told my kid that there is no way i want her doing them.
she insists that the other parents are ok with it.
i've talked to some of her friend's parents, and they don't love the idea, but think it's pretty harmless and let them do it.
what say you?
am i being too strict or are these other parents inconsiderate?
thoughts?
dude...
botticelli babe
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: prank phone calls- harmless or no?

Postby MommaToTwo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:34 pm

why would anyone think it is okay to bother someone in their home and waste their time??? Perhaps those parents need to a have few trillion phone calls made to their homes and businesses and see how they feel about it then.

Hmmm....I guess you know how I feel about prank calls :lol:
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby StitchedUp on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 pm

^I completely agree. My siblings and I made a few prank calls at around that age (and we would also play nicky nacky nine doors, too), but no way did my parents "let" us or view it as harmless. When they found out, we got into trouble. What on earth are these other parents thinking?
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:04 pm

I think its normal for this age as I know I did it and many of my friends did too. However while its more annoying than anything, I do not condone this behaviour nor did my parents and you better believe we go into trouble if they found out.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Muse on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:16 pm

ummm call display?
I thought this went the way of the rotary phone.
Muse
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby botticelli babe on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:23 pm

dude...
botticelli babe
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Annikki on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Not OK!

My kids would be in big trouble and would be making apologies to those they pranked

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby crayola_sky on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

my friend and i placed a prank call once..something stupid..like pretending to be a favorite band on an answering machine of a teacher!! (so lame i know..at the time we thought it was funny)
it sure as hell wasnt funny the next day when the police phoned and talked to my friends mom. and it wasn't funny still when the principal got mad at my friend who then ratted me out as her side kick.

i would let the children know they think these things are anon ..they can be found out real quick if the people choose to call the police and the police choose talk to them/parents about it.
crayola_sky
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I don't think it's ok either.

We did it around that age too, and someone had caller ID and called back and freaked out on us. He was really scary and was saying he was going to come and find us. Scared the heck out of us and we never did it again.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MH.Mom on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:02 pm

My sister is 13 yo and this is Definitley something her and her friends do at sleepovers and while hanging out, assuming her mother doesn't know cause she would otherwise be in big trouble too.
MH.Mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby brymommy on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 pm

For the most part getting a prank call or being nicky Nicky nine'd door'd doesn't much bother me (but I don't have napping kids anymore, if I did it would drive me bonkers!) too much... I wouldn't call back or tell their parents (and I was recently nicky nicky nine door'd by the kids two houses down ;)

BUT

If they were my kids and I found out then they wouldn't be allowed to do so no way no how and there would be consequences... A relative made a threatening "prank call" that turned into a police call and an all night "talking to"...

So I see them as harmless as the receiver but not as the parent... Make sense?
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Prank calls can be very traumatic to seniors :(
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 am

I wouldn't get bent out of shape at receiving a prank call, and I wouldn't freak out about the kids doing it - but with caller id now its a pretty dumb thing to do and I certainly wouldn't condone it. I'd definitely tell them its not ok and I would NOT show them how to prevent your number showing up on caller display for a single phone call.
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 4MyLittleMonkey on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

So NOT okay in my book!! :eek: There's no way I would ever knowingly condone this! And I, too, thought this sort of thing was over, gone with the rotary phone :lol: Seriously, with caller ID, *69, and way too many people out there with anger management issues (lol), there is absolutely no way I would feel this was okay for my child to do! And I'm actually floored at the police involvement stories - how horrifying :eek: As a receiver, I must say that I wouldn't bother the police with it, unless it really did seem threatening?! And if a prank call that my child did resulted in police involvement, I would be absolutely horrified and boy, would there be repercussions for wasting their time and taking them away from something undoubtedly way more important!!

And I agree with a pp - prank calls can be really unsettling to not just seniors, but to anyone! Depending on what's said or done in the call at least. I remember getting some as a young teenage girl, the ones where it's stupid heavy breathing, but they still freaked me out, especially if I was home alone at the time!! :( And nowadays, I really can't stand when I get either a prank or an accidental misdial on my cell phone - those are my minutes they're taking up! I try to teach my children to treat others as they would like to be treated, and prank calls is definitely on my NOT-to-do list.
4MyLittleMonkey
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting