KIV Community

Kids and youtube = inappropriate

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Kids and youtube = inappropriate

Postby Estelle on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 am

How old would your kids have to be to use youtube?

I let mine watch music videos in our living room when I'm home and can see what they're seeing, but they never, nor would I let them, post videos of their own. Both my kids are at their dad's places for the summer and I've learned that both have been involved in youtube video making with their friends or other family members. My 8yr old's dad told me the other day he gave her heck because he found out her older cousin, who just turned 11, took a video of my dd and her 5yr old half sister showing their pantied bottoms for the camera and the older cousin put it on youtube! Of course he flagged the video but couldn't get a hold of his sister to talk to her about it.

Naturally I'm flabbergasted as to why this 11yr old has excess to youtube without parental supervision - especially posting videos! I haven't talked to the mother or my dd's dad since he told me 2 days ago so I don't know what has been done. I'm presuming the video was quickly removed because when I went looking for it it wasn't to be found.

The videos my 11yr old are in are super short silly girls yammering about a band and singing some lyrics. I feel while it's content is harmless I'm not happy that another girl who is 11 or 12 also has access to these things and my dd is in her videos. I don't know this child so I don't know if there are adults approving these videos. I've talked to my dd and asked her to tell her friend the videos of her need to be taken down and to let the mother of this child know I'd like to talk to her about it. She doesn't know if the mother knows about the videos because she was at work when they made them.

Now I'm no stick in the mud when it comes to having fun and allow my kids a fair amount of freedom but I don't want anything that could ever be seen as provocative(and many 11yr old girls accidentally come across this way) posted online.
Last edited by Estelle on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't use logic to talk someone out of a belief they didn't use logic to get themselves into.
Estelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Kids and youtube = inappropriate

Postby Brenda N on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 am

My 15yo has access and has posted videos with similar aged friends. He knows the boundaries and I have every reason to trust that he is using good sense. I'd be upset if the 12yo did it. Although she may know the boundaries - her friends are too immature still to be fully trusted in this way. They are too young IMO. If the 10yo and his friends were doing this I'd be LIVID.
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Estelle on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 am

That's my opinion too. Though to be honest even at 15 I wouldn't let my dd upload without me having seen them first and getting permission from any participating friends parents. Mostly because what boys are likely to make videos of is much different than what girls are.

What bugs me most about my oldests videos is that no one bothered to ask me first. I would have said no. Her dad doesn't even know about the videos, but I know he would have asked me, or had his fiance ask me ;-) before he gave permission.
You can't use logic to talk someone out of a belief they didn't use logic to get themselves into.
Estelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Estelle on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Estelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Darren Laur on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Ahhhh Youtube....... some great things and some bad thing !!!!!

I agree that YouTube should be monitored by parents when being used by those under 13yrs , as well parents should be setting up YouTube's Safe Mode and here's an article that I have written that will show you step by step how to do this:

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca ... -mode.html

Another option to consider is the new "Netnanny" product that is now on the market

Darren
Darren Laur
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby barb on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 pm

barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Nope. My kids don't use the computer at all except once in a blue moon my DD will ask to play Webkinz or go on "Math Games".

For youtube I use it for directional videos and my kids will watch a preview for movies that they can't see the movie of (like Pirates of the Caribbean or Iron Man).

I really don't believe in having my kids in the social online world until absolutely necessary.

We have a Wii and a PS3 but they don't play those either really. DS likes the Lego games with us but I am more hooked on them then him.

They do use the iPad but only in Airplane mode and the apps are pretty much all Educational.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Brenda N on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting