KIV Community

Introducing solids BEFORE the 6 month mark

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: Introducing solids BEFORE the 6 month mark

Postby Glowingtouch on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Personally, I would speak to my doctor (or better yet a lactation consultant) about starting solids before 6 months. If your doctor is up to date on breastfeeding research, then I would talk to them. Many doctors have had little instructional time about breastfeeding when they became doctors, and if they didn't keep up their own studies, they may not know about the current recommendations.

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/201 ... onths.html

http://www.breastfeeding.com/breastfeed ... foods.aspx

In the end, you know what your baby needs/wants. We all do what we think is best for our children, and you will do the same :)
Melissa
Hire a birth doula for help with pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period. Email me for more info!
http://www.glowingtouch.ca
Glowingtouch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Chantalz on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am

we started dd1 at 4 months because she was HUGE...not fat, but tall and big. She has always been that way - wore a size 18 months at 10 months. Wore a size 10 at age 7. Her metabolism has always been high (just like her dad - thank goodness she's not like me :).

Everyone said not to, but the doc said to go by her weight and look...she was drinking soooooooo much formula, always hungry. She was like a 6-month-old and was starving poor thing. She loved loved loved solids. Slept super well. :)
Chantalz
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby chickypoo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 am

Makes sense to me as you know your child best.
I realized there are recommendations when it comes to this, and I am glad I just went with my gut. I knew she was ready for solids at 4 months, but I didn't dare start b/c "you're not suppose to". So i started at 5 months....this baby has not refused ANY vegetable or protein or cereal I have offered. She is NOT a fruit fan either...except bananas....she LOVES her solids...and still breastfeeds tons, have tons of milk!! She too is a very tall baby, and I think she just needed more than milk.
chickypoo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Chantalz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 am

Mine was actually drinking so much at 4-months-old that she was starting to throw up. I was feeding her every hour.

Doctor was like, well yeah...she's growing like a weed and needs something more than breastmilk.

I knew it in my gut...breastmilk just wasn't enough for her.

My 2nd DD was totally different. Could have stayed on milk until past 6 months. Normal size, normal feeding patter.

Please, please, please don't ever go by the book. New moms go by the book religiously, but your instincts are THE most important thing. Consider too that the 'book' or what 'experts' recommend changes by the decade. Point in case: In the 70s, breastmilk was thought to be bad for babies. All the moms who listened to the experts did contrary to today's truisms.

You know best, and even if you don't...they'll be fine and you'll learn for next time. :)
Chantalz
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby chickypoo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Forsure...
this baby is our 2nd, and just didn't go "by the book" so much...I really didn't either with my first, but as you know, we often second guess ourselves, "do I? Don't I?! Thanks for your input.
chickypoo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Previous

Return to Parenting