KIV Community

Kids sharing rooms...

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Kids sharing rooms...

Postby lovemy2girls on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 pm

My daughters share a room...they used to have their own room, until their brother was about 6mo old, and I moved them in with each other. They like sharing a room, probably too much. They keep each other up at bedtime. They wake up for the day by 6am, BOTH of them, because they always wake each other up :mad: It is 8:40pm and they are still messing around in there. They call me over and over, its always a new excuse. They fight over silly stuff. Get out of bed a million times. Its driving me nuts!! They are NOT getting enough sleep because they keep each other up late! Does anyone have any advice for me?! They are 3.5 and 6.5yrs old. I wish they could each have their own rooms, but it is just not reality. Its not the room sharing that seems to be an issue, they like being in the same room... its that they cant keep their mouths shut and go to sleep! Its driving me crazy and I can only bribe them so much. I try and bribe with trips to the park/beach etc but they dont care. They keep each other up late most every night.

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Kids sharing rooms...

Postby SuZQ on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm

I am in exactly the same boat but with 2 boys. I wish I had some advice for you - putting the younger one to bed might help, but at our house, that made him really upset. At least it is the summer, I'm just desperately hoping it sorts itself out by September. Best of luck to you too and if you have any successes please post!
SuZQ
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Fierce on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm

My boys share a room and LOVE it...for the most part we love it too. A few things I've done to keep them under control:

Timed Nightlight: It turns into a moon at whatever time you set it to, I have it at 8:30. Once the moon comes out, it's sleep time! It turns into a sun in the morning, same deal, no one gets out of bed or makes a sound until the sun comes up, which is at 6:30. If they break this, I silently go into their room and put them in bed, with just a short "moon is out" or "sun is not up" to remind them they shouldn't be talking or playing. The I quickly walk out so as not to encourage conversation or arguing!

As for calling me and making excuses and fighting, I ignore it. :D I say goodnight, tell them I love them, and remind them I will not come back in no matter what. Of course if something really bad happened I would! But I take them to the bathroom, give them a drink of water, etc...before I tuck them in so there's nothing they could legitimately need. Every six months or so they get off track and I need to reinforce the rules to keep them from getting up and coming out to find me. I stand outside their room and silently hold the handle so they can't get out no matter how hard they try. After two or three nights of that they give up and go back to their routine. As long as you are firm and consistent, it doesn't take long.

Works well for us. Good luck!
Fierce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby FairyElf on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 pm

My 2 younger sons share a room. My youngest is the one that is a chatterbox. They go to bed at different times. This was the only way for it to work having one fall asleep before the other one went to bed. They wake up together most days though.which is ok as long as they went to bed at their designated time. There is 3.5 years between them.
FairyElf
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby grannieponytail on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 am

Have you tried giving the older one a later bedtime?
grannieponytail
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Colesmum on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 am

Our boys share a room too, and they are 3 and 5. Like a pp mentioned, when we put them back in bed, it is with minimal convo. Also, it's kind of funny, but I threaten to take a toy away (funny part is they're not allowed toys in bed anyways) and they can't have it back until morning. This has worked very well, time-outs didn't, because time-out bought them more time out of their room, and awake.....as far as keeping each other up, I found it did get better as the novelty of sleeping in the same room wore off. Our rule is they can talk, laugh, sing, etc. They cannot get out of bed (except for bathroom), play with toys, bang around, etc. But if they want to talk, tell stories, have at it :) Hope you find something that works for you.
Last edited by Colesmum on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colesmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby peanutbuttercup on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 am

It certainly sounds like they do need more sleep! Is it an option to have the baby and the 3.5 year old share a room?

This will likely become more frustrating come September when your 6.5 year old is back at school and need to be well rested.

Hope you find some resolve!
peanutbuttercup
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovemy2girls on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:47 am

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Fierce on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

It is only sold online but ships quickly and great customer service, mine stopped working about 18 months after I bought it and I called and they replaced it for free, no questions asked. I love it, I would have happily paid for a new one. My boys live by it, they know not to get out of bed if they wake up and see the moon, and actually every morning I awake to a chorus of "Mommy! Sun's up!"

http://www.goodnitelite.com/
Fierce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 am

My kids only share when camping and we've struggled for years. This year, I got my youngest ready for bed first and in bed before the older would get ready. This gave enough time for her to get sleepy before her brother came to bed and made a huge difference in time it takes to fall asleep even though she may not have been asleep yet.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby lovemy2girls on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ashmel on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am

Maybe call Bellies in Bloom about the nightlight. I *think* they had it in last year at some point. May be worth a try.
<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ames on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 pm

I saw the GoodNite lite at Mothering Touch awhile ago. :)
Ames
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby gill846 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 pm

We don't use a nightlight, we use a digital clock for my 6 yr old ds. He knows his numbers and we just taught him to go by the first number. He has no clue about half hours or "it's almost" a certain time, but he can follow the first number and I can tell him the night before what time he can get up at. So if I tell him not to get up until his clock says 8, if it's 7:58, he won't realize that it's basically almost 8. He's allowed to play in his room if it's before the time to get up and he's not tired, but only when the clock says the right time can he get up, wwake us up and watch tv (which he has to earn by getting dressed, brushing his teeth and putting his glasses on).

Just thinking, that since your dd is already 6, a digital clock with an alarm that will be useful for many years to come might be a better investment (and possibly easier to find!)

My two shared a room for many years, since ds was a few months old. They are six years apart so we always did separate bedtimes. He has bunkbeds so even though dd has her own room now, she'll often sleep in his room with him just to keep him company (or to have him keep her company, lol)
gill846
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby lovemy2girls on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:07 am

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Parenting