KIV Community

I Need Tips for Stopping the Night Diaper

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

I Need Tips for Stopping the Night Diaper

Postby On purpose? on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:14 pm

We stopped putting our almost five year old in a diaper at night. It's been three nights and I'm wondering if there is more I can do to stop the bed wetting :)

We don't give him a water bottle at bedtime anymore and before I go to bed (10pm) I take him to go pee. What should we be saying to him? I tell him to use the toilet when he has to pee but I'm so sensitive about not overdoing it I think I am! :lol:

Parenting is so hard! Heaven forbid we scar him :D
On purpose?
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: I Need Tips for Stopping the Night Diaper

Postby kattnipp on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

It is all about the child when it comes to night diapers in my opinion. I don't think you can rush when they are able to wake themselves up to go pee. Also try a chart with stars or something to reward every night there is no wetting(my parents did this with my younger sister and brother).
We went by our child and when she told us while putting pulls up on she now could go pee we knew she was ready. We put her on the pottie before we went to bed and I always reminded her to get up to go pee. One night I was too tired to wait up for our normal time so I went to bed, she got up on her own and peed. Never had to worry from then on.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby On purpose? on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank you kattnipp. Humm. Maybe he isn't ready...

Knowing my four year old he would wear a diaper till he was 14 if I let him. I've read blogs online and all I found was "buy pretty underwear she can only wear at night" "Tell him you ran out of money to buy diapers". Neither would work for my kid and charts stickers rewards are a lost cause (the boy follows no one)
On purpose?
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 pm

The charts didn't work for my brother and sister. Not everyone is ready at the same time. Maybe try buying the pulls ups with the cool effect and see if that wakes them?
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

My second born was ready before my first born, despite the year difference between them. At almost five years old, announced no longer needed a diaper, and no wet nights since.

At almost six (about a week or two after second born did it) we eventually did a 'after one week of dry nights, you get to pock a LEGO set' for our first born and after that, never a wet night again. Our first born is stubborn. And smart ;)

And my third born is still in diapers 24/7 but is only 27 months.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby monikah on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Rewards.

We're working on night training DS right now. I take him to pee when I go to bed. Also I promise him a couple pieces of candy if he wakes up with a dry diaper. We've been having lots of dry diapers recently in the morning. This is from a boy who'd wake up with a soaking wet diaper every morning. Candy helps. :D
monikah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Ours just stopped wetting now at six. It really is a developmental bladder thing and isn't controllable unless you can figure out how to wake them so they start to do it themselves.

Ours would sleep thorough a bed change and being placed on the floor. No way he was waking himself to pee.

We used the overnights by Pampers until they were dry for a week.

BTW it certainly was NOT his choice to wet the bed and he hated being wet in the morning whether he had a diaper or not. Saying I would reward him with a present for something he could not control would have devastated him. I am glad we just made it a non issue and stopped worrying about it until his body was ready to do it naturally.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kapoohhh on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Some boys take till age 10 or so. :(
But it is all about there own bladder growth.
Waking him up in the middle of the night is what some parents do.... but not all kids are easily woken up.
Hopefully it will come sooner than later.. good luck and parenting is a big adventure :)
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby otxena on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 pm

We have had early birds . . . Our oldest trained at 18 mo s and fully at night by 20-21 . . . Our little one has had three wet night dipes since 16 mo. But didn't day train until 18 - totally developmental. Rewards during unconsciousness work? Modifying night behavior? Nonsense to me (glad it seems to have worked for some). I'd rather poise them for success where they can control their actions. We never limited water intake either. Give them lots during the day and they won't naturally tank up as much at night (plus more day pees help strengthen the whole system if they are day trained/training). Our older one went to bed at 8ish; when we went around 11 we would pick her up, take her to the potty, sit her down, hold her . . .she would go pee 95% of the time and remain asleep or near sleep through the whole thing. That was very successful in stopping a wet bed. But, biological. if we had to night pee the little one shed be up for all eternity.

When you do take the plunge, here is something we also did: get a couple of 100% wool blankets (military, value village), cut them into big squares (like at least 1m square). Wash in super hot water a few times to maximize shrink. Sew a flannel cover around each one. Bravo piddle pad. The wool protects the mattress, the flannel is comfy, and you can chuck it into the laundry instead of all the sheets and protector etc. anyway. Best of luck and if it takes years, it just does . . . Much less grief to not fight a battle neither of you may win. Hope it all goes well!
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Victoria Family Meals on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Is there a fan or force air in his bedroom? Mine was night trained by the time he was 3.5 but it all started again when he was 4.5. Turns out the fan blowing on him in his room during the summer would cause him to wet the bed.

http://nicolehietamaa.myepicure.com/
http://www.facebook.com/NicoleHietamaaEpicure
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicoles-Steeped-Tea
http://www.mysteepedtea.com/NICOLEHIETAMAA
Victoria Family Meals
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Chantalz on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 am

My first dd came home from daycare at 2.5 and told us she wanted big girl undies on at night.oddly enough, she was ready...only a few accidents.

My second dd is 5 and still wears diapers at night. We tried, she peed, we let her decide. Sometimes she chooses not to wear any and goes straight through without peeing.

We don't bother bribing or rewarding if she goes all night without incident since we feel it realy isn't something some kids can control. It's like someone rewarding me for not burping if i have to. No shame, no big expectations....we are pretty easygoing in terms of letting our kids develop at their own pace. Preference, not a deeply held belief i will slam others for disagreeing with.

If you really care about ending that diaper use, i would suggest putting a sheet protector, then a sheet, then another sheet protectorand another sheet. It made night sheet changes sooooo quick. Obviously no water at bedtime and pee before too. Good luck. :)
Chantalz
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby monikah on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm

An update on our situation. I posted a while back that I'd give DS a couple candies if he woke up with a dry diaper. It seems to have worked. At first, we'd get dry diapers occasionally. Then about 50% of the time. Now he's gone a week and all dry diapers. Before that, we'd have soaking diapers every morning, so much that the pee would soak his pants. I have to add that some mornings he'd be disappointed to see a wet diaper so I'd give him 1 candy instead of 2. We ran out of candy a while ago, but he still proudly shows me his dry diaper every morning.

I do believe they have to be developmentally ready. However, I think also sometimes they are ready, however, have been trained to pee in their diaper and haven't thought there was any other way. This seems to be true for DS. It seemed to help considerably just to plant the idea in his head of 'holding it' all night and not peeing in his diaper. Also, just thinking back to DD when she was this age. She had a bad habit of jumping out of bed several times a night. After trying many different things, I had the brainwave to sit down with her and explain (gently) that I expected her to go to bed and stay in bed. She simply didn't know what was expected and after that we had no more problems.
monikah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting