KIV Community

Chronic stomach ache in kids

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Chronic stomach ache in kids

Postby luckymamato2 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 am

My daughter has been complaining of a tummy ache for the past 6 months. It's random, she'll say something when she wakes up, before she eats, after she eats, I can't pin point it to anything that would be causing it. She's fine otherwise, hasn't affected her eating or playing or sleep.
She's seen 3 different doctors (2 were in emergency when she was vomiting non stop for a couple of days.) My doctor thought maybe ulcers, but she's not a stressed out child, so I'm not so sure about that.
Has anyone else had this happen to their child and it's nothing to be concerned about? She points to her belly button area everytime I ask, she complains at least 3 times a day.
I'm thinking maybe it's something that will pass but not sure how long it will last for??
Would love to know others experiences!

luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Chronic stomach ache in kids

Postby Samandemma on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Has your DD been assessed for lactose intolerance? Our dd started having tummy aches when she was 6. She would express that her tummy hurt and then continue on with her day. It did not occur at any specific times of the day/night, but became consistently at least once or more per day. We had her assessed at a lab on Richmond Ave in Victoria (they were the only lab in Victoria that was able to diagnose lactose intolerance in children). She was diagnosed with lactose intolerance. We found that lactaid tablets in her milk and watching her intake of lactose in other products has almost completely eliminated her "tummy aches."

Re ulcers: These do not just occur in people with stress. Many ulcers are caused by bacteria so it may be something that needs further assessment.

Something that may help to give you valuable information is: keeping a food journal where you enter on a daily basis everything that your DD eats and also record any tummy aches, nausea, vomiting or any other symptoms.

I would suggest going back to your Dr. for further consultation.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby gill846 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:14 pm

dd had this in the past and is having it again. First time, the culprit was helicobacter. This time, she did the helicobacter test and since that's not the problem and she's also having headaches, the doctor thinks it might be something called "abdominal migraine". Never heard of it before and I thought the doc was just brushing her off, but I don't know, I'm starting to think she was bang on. But we're keeping an eye on occurrence and what she eats in case there's an allergy/intolerance issue.

Neither of these made dd so sick she was vomiting (on the other hand, she's never been particularly prone to it). Just stomachaches bad enough that you couldn't do anything at 100%, wasn't eating properly because everytime she ate she'd feel sick before she was full...
gill846
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kapoohhh on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm

In the hospital... did she get any scans done.
I would push for that if they have not been done.
Have you gone to a pediatrician.
I think Celiac or Hernia that has been missed when people talk about there belly.
Have you tried not giving her any dairy for a few days to rule out celiac :)
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I would definitely push for some tests if you can.

My DD complained of stomach aches. She was already labelled as lactose intolerance so she didn't eat dairy. However turns out it was sulphites as well.

Wheat intolerance or gluten intolerance can all cause stomach issues.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:14 am

Gallbladder is also something to have looked into. My 10 year old niece had to have hers out.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby luckymamato2 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:54 am

Thank you for all the replies!
The only test they did for her in the hospital is a urine test to see if she had a bladder infection. They pressed on her tummy to make sure it wasn't her gall bladder. It was wierd because she was vomiting and had her tummy ache but a normal happy kid otherwise. The first day I was there they gave her an antinauseant and that worked until the next morning when she started vomiting again. Took her back, had the urine test and they just told me to give her gravol every 6 hours (or was it 8, I can't remember) for as long as needed. That worked, I did that for a week (we went on a planned staycation that week). Since then no vomiting, but still the tummy aches.
I do want other tests done, just wasn't sure what there was out there that could be done, or if I should just wait and if it got worse (interupted her eating or play time) to get something done. I think my first step is to see a pediatrician, do you know if you can get a referal from a walk in clinic? (I don't care much for our regular doctor but if I have to I will go).

luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby luckymamato2 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 am

Also, wondering if it were a gluten intolerance wouldn't she have other symptoms as well? Same with the lactose? I'll try cutting them out, one at a time of course :D Hopefully it's something simple like that.

luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Was it originally a virus? There was a terrible stomach virus that I caught that gave me stomach pain for months. I ended up taking high quality pro-biotics once serious issues were ruled out.

You could try that. My kids get it in juice now regularly. A stomach flora inbalance is common after a bug or even taking anti biotics.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am

You can ask for an ultrasound. That will show cysts or any inflammation.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 1girl1boy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 pm

If she has celiac disease, removing gluten from her diet prior to testing/diagnosis will pretty much eliminate any hope for diagnosis. I personally, as a celiac and a parent, feel like it's important to have a medical diagnosis for celiac so that proper follow-up can take place. As far as additional symptoms, she wouldn't necessarily have anything more than a stomach ache. The range of symptoms is HUGE and spans from no gastrointestinal (or other) symptoms to neurological or dermatological symptoms. They can do screening blood tests (called a TTG/IgA...note, she also needs a quantitative IgA blood test, to determine if she produces IgA as a significant portion of celtics are deficient in it) if she is over three or four, but the only conclusive diagnostic test is a stomach biopsy. It's so hard to know with little ones...a stomach biopsy is a pretty big deal for a kiddo, but if she does have celiac disease you also don't want to leave it untreated...Best of luck sorting it all out :)
1girl1boy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby cor on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:16 pm

My 4 yr old DD has been complaining for about 7 months of a sore stomach too. We have a wonderful doctor thank goodness. We have done blood work, urine testing and multiple stool tests (good times). Nothing has showed so far. She shows that it hurts right around her belly button. I have been told that's a 'good place' for pain. Around the outer abdomen can be more serious problems.

I have done extensive food journalling and found no links at all. Next is an ultrasound. I have had lots of parents tell me their kids went through this too for a year or so and then it just stopped. I just hate 'waiting' though to see if it goes away. After the ultrasound I don't know what we will do.
cor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby luckymamato2 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Cor- Yes, that's where my daughter points every time I ask, her belly button area!
I'm still waiting on the Pedo referral. Took her to emerg. last night as she was on the floor crying from stomach pain. I wanted suggestions to start on, so he said to put her on a bare bones diet- plain rice, plain chicken, certain fruits and veggies (thank goodness she likes rice) then slowly start introducing other foods and see what happens. He figured it would be a food sensitivity more than anything else. It's so frustrating!
I'm glad to hear that the bloodwork showed nothing, the Dr. last night said he could do bloodwork on her if I wanted but he really didn't think it would show anything (I decided not to, my daughter was actually fine at that time).
I'm learning more about food though! Alot of concerning things I didn't know about!

luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby renka on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Not sure if you are interested in naturopaths.

My dd also had years of tummy pain....started with a parasite that we found after 2 years of trying to figure it out....while waiting for the ped dr I took her to Dr. Kim McQueen who was very helpful and had great suggestions.

She is great to work with and very helpful with putting together all the info I got from the ped dr, dietician from VGH and many many blood tests, urine tests, stool samples etc.

We ended up taking out gluten and dairy and tummy aches have gotten far less.

Dr. Kim really helped us a lot.
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting