KIV Community

Info About Live Out Nannies???

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Info About Live Out Nannies???

Postby PurplePeopleEater on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi there!

I originally posted this under "Childcare" but have not had any response, and I really don't know where else to look at this point....So I'm trying on this board!
I am wondering if anyone out there would like to share some info with me regarding a live out nanny situation, if you currently have a nanny or have had one recently, or just know...
What is the going rate for this type of arrangement or how much do you pay your nanny?
Do you go by an hourly rate or a set rate for the week/month/pay period?
Must the employer make arrangements with WCB and for things like CPP, EI and Income Tax?
Do you provide medical benefits? Other benefits??

ANY info you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to share with me!!
PurplePeopleEater
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Info About Live Out Nannies???

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 am

as far as I'm aware a nanny is considered "self employed" and does not pay into benefits (or receive them when off work).

I know someone who has a nanny who has taken a lot of early child care courses and does baby signing and pays them about $1,600 a month.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:01 am

and I think that's only for 3 days a week - so not sure if that was based on a 5 day a week rate or that's what they pay for the 3 days
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Maia'smom on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:12 pm

We have a live out nanny. She is a college student who works full-time in the summer for us (past two years) and as needed during the school year (anywhere from 10-20 hours per week because dh is away a lot and I work full-time with unconventional hours). We pay her $13/hour, every hour. I wish I could afford more and she knows this. I pay her every two weeks on my pay day schedule and have to deduct taxes, CPP and EI (there is very little deductions with the part-time hours) which I have to submit to government every 3 months. I do have a business number which I had to apply for. We couldn't do it without her.

Hope this helps
Maia'smom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby hereandthere on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I employ a live out nanny.
She started with us at $13/hr and now makes $14/hr after about 6 months with us. Her only childcare experience was having raised her own children as a SAHM (which counted as a lot to us!). Our family is two children, both potty-trained. We should probably pay her more, but we give her a fairly good amount of flexibility to try to help make up for it. I wish we could pay her around $15-16. She works close to fulltime - 35-40 hours per week. She's paid the hourly wage she submits on her timesheets every two weeks.
We follow all the labour rules and tax rules. Please be aware that if your nanny works only for you - not among multiple families - she is likely to be considered "an employee" not an independent contractor, and you will get in trouble for not doing all the payroll deductions, CPP, EI, etc. You'll have to apply for a business number. You need to be familiar with rules about overtime, breaks, stat holidays, vacation pay, etc. and pay them correctly. You need to keep time-sheets, payroll, tax records, etc., very much as if you were a small business. I recommend opening a separate chequing account from which you will pay the nanny, only in the name of the employer (mine was joint with my husband and it caused a hassle when we were audited once). We also pay into WorkSafeBC. You will need to do so. WorksafeBC is pretty easy to work with and pay. I don't provide medical benefits - IMO it is a royal pain for a small employer and comes with a lot of paperwork. If your nanny asks about this, I suggest you instead negotiate to pay her a little more in salary so it will pay her MSP premium (after taxes), and let the nanny take care of it herself. We provide a nominal 2 weeks paid vacation by adding 4% to each paycheque. This appears to be the best way to do vacation for a small employer. My first nanny I didn't do this and had the pain of paying out a lot of earned vacation when she left. Better to pay vacation as she earns it, then you don't pay her for days she takes vacation (it's already been paid gradually through the 4%). Keeping the records is hard for me, as I am not naturally an organized person. You have to be prepared to be organized, keep things in spreadsheets, and a couple of binders for timesheets and tax remittances.
I'm glad we went with a nanny, but it is expensive and a lot of stressful paperwork (stressful for me because I hate paperwork). It was still for us the best decision, and we're very happy with our nanny. I like having my kids cared for in their own home.
PS - I email interviewed about 20 applicants, and in-person interviewed about 6. The hiring and interview process was practically a second job in itself for a while!
Oh, one more thing - if the nanny is going to drive, I suggest you have her drive your vehicle. Recording and paying out mileage is more trouble than I would want to go to if she used her vehicle. And then I can be sure the carseats are already installed properly. However, if she is going to drive your kids around more than 6 times per month, you need to be talking to ICBC.
hereandthere
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby PurplePeopleEater on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Thank you soooo much!! All of your info was very helpful!
PurplePeopleEater
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting