KIV Community

Weaning a toddler . . .what worked?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Weaning a toddler . . .what worked?

Postby otxena on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 pm

I fully never expected to turn on breastfeeding but I am so done. My girl is nearly 22 months and nurses first thing in the am, down for naps, and 75% of the time within an hour of bed (dad puts her down at night). The feelings of "awwww" vs. the feelings of "finish already, kid" are about 25% / 75%. Who weaned at this age? What worked? (She flat out will never take a soother and has barfed every single time I've tried a bottle.)
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Weaning a toddler . . .what worked?

Postby Blacken on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 pm

We weaned our dd at 19 mos. I was three months along and wanted a few months of being nursing free. I simply told her that my breasts were too sore to nurse during the day. I got her down to once a day after a few days, then simply stopped. Told her no, mom's breasts are done making milk. She had no problem with it. She never took a bottle or soother either.
Our son self weaned at 2 years old. He just stopped one day entirely by himself. (which doesn't help you,I know but thought I'd let you know that self weaning does actually happen!)
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mommyx7 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:51 am

i was tired ,he was using it for comfort more than anything , and one day i decided i was done ,didn't plan it didn't choose a ending day i was just finished and i was and he was really good about it.
7 kids 5 boys 2 girls 18 -3
mommyx7
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kapoohhh on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am

I agree straight to sippy, straw cup or even an open cup with small amounts .
When it is the time of day when you are breastfeeding arrange for your husband or grandparents to come over and you go out shopping or something. It is way easier getting someone else to get them to use a sippy cup ... there is no choice infront of them... :)
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby older.mom on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:51 pm

For both of my kids I had small "end of nursing" parties, with a
little cake, and one of their friends invited. They were both
three, so it might not work with two year olds, but it worked
well for both of them -- they felt that the party signalled that they
were now big kids.
older.mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby nest&nurture on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:11 pm

I tried weaning my daughter at 20 months and she was not having it. I gave up after a week. I tried again at 22 months and it took a couple of weeks without much trouble. I worked up to it gradually offering milk or water in a cup or new fruit and veggies snacks, before she could ask me for breastmilk. Lots of distraction tactics. Husband took over bedtime and morning to break those cycles.
nest&nurture
KIV Advertiser
KIV Advertiser

Region:

Postby otxena on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I suppose I should have been clearer about my request for tips rather than a strangers judgement on what my kid "needs" - oh wait, that is what I put. :? Please don't be the judge of the needs of my child, thanks.

Thanks cyricus - we have been trying to distract at bedtimes and have hubby put her down and I'm at the gym in the morning so if I can get out before she wakes up I'm usually in luck. Im glad to hear it worked for you eventually. My first daughter went breast to soother at 18 months (I was suddenly in hospital for a week and she took it to soothe, never took it before that) and was done that by age two. Thanks also to the other helpful moms . . . I don't know that she would deal with being cut off, it has definitely been considered, and good also to know that the "sore" reasoning set well with one and eventually the parties with the others. I appreciate the variety of responses. I guess I just have to keep in mind that something will work with her; I'll just have to find out what. Thanks!
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mc on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:38 am

my first dd very civilly weaned herself at 9 months. my second dd was totally addicted (imo) and i had an intervention at 2 years. I worked fulltime so she physically getting all her needs met thru food/sippy cup but she used my breasts as a way to get my attention away from her sister and onto her. She would scream for "booby" and have a fit until she got it. Once in the customs lineup coming back from mexico-lol. I tried getting her to stop but to no avail. SO on the advice of my friend who did the same thing I painted my boobs with nail biting soln so they would taste yucky. Up until that point i prepared her by telling her that milk goes bad when the child turns 2 and she would have to wean off. So she tasted the soln and thought the milk was going off. Right after she got the flu and so i told her the milk was bad and making her feel bad. She stopped nursing all together and we never looked back. This may sound harsh to some but trust me it was the best thing for her and me. She was a lot happier afterwards and needless to say mom was happy too.
mc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby otxena on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Ok, for her second birthday she got the big girl speech. Not painless but much easier at this age. It's killing me to stop calling her my baby, lol. It has been a tough week and she has only taken ONE nap but we are free and with minimal grief to parent or child. I just couldn't wait for it to "happen" any longer. I would have almost done the nail polish thing . . . I was one or two days away from using vinegar.

Thanks again moms :)
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

My dh and I went to Vegas for 3 days when DD was a year (left dd with friends, and she'd take a bottle)....that pretty much did the trick and was a nice vacay for me and him.

Good luck - I know it can be tricky.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting