KIV Community

Arranging a Playdate

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Arranging a Playdate

Postby blubbr on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 am

My 6 yr old has become good friends with a boy in his class and would like to have him over to our house for a playdate. I usually know most of the parent's who are friends with my son. However this boy's father or I believe to be his stepfather seems very standoffish. Both my son and his kid are also in soccer together so I thought this might be a good opportunity for me to get to know the parent. I met the boy's Mum one time but she has not been back to watch her son play, and she is busy working full-time.

My son is fun, loud and boisterous and this parent looks at him with contempt whenever he runs over to greet his son. I just stand by say hello and smile. He just looks at me the same way. I'm not sure how to approach this parent but the boys do get on great. Honestly, it makes me feel uncomfortable when some parents give you the impression they don't want to know you or your child.
Thanks.
blubbr
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Arranging a Playdate

Postby Sunnygirl on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:26 am

I'd leave it up to the kids. Tell your kid that he can invite the other kid over for a playdate if he wants but only if it's ok with the other kid's dad.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby blubbr on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks, I agree but I do like to know the parents. I'm getting a vibe the parent isn't interested. I don't want my son to be disappointed. Sometimes it feels like it's all about what the parent wants and not been supportive about who their child can be friends with. My son has other friends over for playdates but they live closer.

I'm easy going about all this but some people need to loosen up and not be so rude when I approach them with a friendly smile.
blubbr
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MarionG on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

Perhaps you are reading the situation wrong?!?

You'll never know unless you just approach the man and say "Hey, my son wants to invite your son over..." what's the worse thing can happen? He says 'no thanks'? So what!

The reason, I say you may be reading the situation wrong is that we never know what is really going on in someone else's life. There could be grief, or a sick family member or a family pet may have recently passed or financial woes. What you perceive as rude may be totally something different.

Just go on over and ask for the playdate, my goodness!
MarionG
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby StitchedUp on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

^What she said.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:58 pm

I concur with what the pp's have suggested.
I would also recommend that the playdate could be as simple as meeting together at a nearby park or nature space so that the children can play together. At 6, children are usually very open to simple playtime together.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kruk on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 pm

I agree with that the others have said.

I'm shy. I'm sure I can come off as aloof when I really don't mean to, it's just hard for some people to be comfortable socially with people they don't know. Maybe that is the case here.
kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting