KIV Community

Help with playdates

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Help with playdates

Postby wheresmymind on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:44 pm

DH and I are very private, shy, almost introverted people. DS is the complete opposite. We have been able to avoid most playdates with little excuses here and there. Mostly if we have one, it`s been somewhere like the park and we don`t stay very long. Now that DS is in kindy, we`ve been overwhelmed with playdate invites and I don`t think we can keep up with the excuses. So I need the low-down on playdates please.

If kids come over to your house, do the parents stay or leave (DS is 5).
If this is an after school playdate, do you give the kids a snack.
If driving is required, does the kids parent drop off the kid or do you take them with you (for an afterschool playdate)
What is an average playdate length of time (afterschool and weekends)
Are you required to play with them or is that the purpose of the playdate for them to play together
How much supervision is required for this age
What if the kid has an older sibling, do they have to come too

I`m sure I am forgetting other questions as we`ve never had to do this. Oh, the things we do for our kids :o . Any insight, perspective, and tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.
wheresmymind
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Help with playdates

Postby StitchedUp on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Based on my experiences to date, here are my answers to your questions:

If kids come over to your house, do the parents stay or leave (DS is 5). -- The don't usually stay.
If this is an after school playdate, do you give the kids a snack. -- Yes. Ask about food allergies/aversions in advance.
If driving is required, does the kids parent drop off the kid or do you take them with you (for an afterschool playdate) -- If you can take them with you, do. If you can't, the other parent should bring them.
What is an average playdate length of time (afterschool and weekends) -- We do only after-school playdates, and they are usually over by 5 pm.
Are you required to play with them or is that the purpose of the playdate for them to play together -- I might assist with a craft or play chase or tag with them, but they usually play on their own.
How much supervision is required for this age -- Depends on the children.
What if the kid has an older sibling, do they have to come too -- No.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby saucy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm

- In kindergarten, they stayed or we met at a park if it was a family we didn't know generally speaking.

- Yes.

If driving is required, does the kids parent drop off the kid or do you take them with you (for an afterschool playdate)
- Other parent drives - we don't have room.

- 1.5 hours - 2 hours.

Are you required to play with them or is that the purpose of the playdate for them to play together
- They play together.

- They play in the playroom. I am upstairs.

- Nope, but younger ones might : ) if the other parent stays.
saucy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Brenda N on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:46 pm

50/50 Some stay, some don't.

Yes. Muffins, cheese & crackers, fruit, something simple.

If the other parent drives, then they stay. We usually drove the other kid - or we invited a few families over for "a cup of tea" and the parents visited while the kids played.

a couple of hours - possibly less.

I never played with the kids if I could avoid it :D But I kept other siblings occupied so they weren't in the way of the playdate.

Depends upon the kids. Enough supervision to know if they are playing nicely. If they aren't, then lots more supervision and perhaps playing with them. If they are getting along and both are happy and playing nicely, then not much supervision.

No. Unless the parent is coming along/staying - then they have to generally bring any siblings.

As for insight/tips/perspective.....
Playdates are really one of the best things you can do for your kindy child - at your place and at other people's places. And if you can make a few friends among the other moms and dads, that will be a big benefit to you both as well. I know it can be hard to step out of your comfort zone - but I think you will find it rewarding for both yourself and your child. Good Luck!
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting