KIV Community

Eyeglasses for a 5 year old?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Eyeglasses for a 5 year old?

Postby Sue on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Experiences? Turns out DS (5) will need glasses for a year or so, at least. He is resistent to the idea because of many reasons, I'm sure. One of the main ones that I can see is that he can see just fine it is just that his eyes are having to work harder to focus than the average kid (we found out today at an eye appt). So, it won't be a matter of him seeing fuzzy, puts his new glasses on, and a whole new world is seen. To him, he sees just fine since he doesnt' even think about the strain his eyes have been doing to see as well as they do.

How to help him and us adjust to this new idea?
"We do the best we can with what we
know, and when we know better, we do better."
Maya Angelou
Sue

Region:

Re: Eyeglasses for a 5 year old?

Postby Sunnygirl on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 pm

We go tomorrow for a follow up visit as K may need glasses too. They've suggested that she "needs" them as well as she may be struggling a bit more than she should to focus and that could mean that her eyes may overcompensate and it could be sooner before she really does need them if she doesn't get them now.

I think the new train of thought is moreso to use glasses as a preventative type measure. Definitely an expensive measure though and inconvenient for sure especially as it will just be for reading and school work - I guess that possibly means a pair for at school and one for at home...sigh!!

I'm not sure what I think about this. Not wanting her to have glasses at all.
She's thrilled at the idea of glasses so suspect she'll say what she needs to at the appt tomorrow to get them :roll:
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 am

Our oldest DD got glasses at 5 and while it wasn't correcting anything big, so it didn't make a huge difference either, it's correcting what could and WILL become a huge issue in the future.

In fact 6 months after she started wearing them the problem HAD corrected, but she's still wearing them two years later because they want her to wear them for a few years to keep the problem corrected so that in the future she will not need them. If she doesn't she'll need them the rest of her adult life.

So that what we say, "You can wear glasses for a few years now to correct the problem and make it go away forever... or you can go without glasses now and in a few years you will need the for the rest of your life."

But while she was hesitant at first (although we let her pick them out herself, even though they were the *expensive* ones) she now loves them and says that she doesn't like how she looks without them :roll: I'm hopeful we can get rid of them in the next couple years, but I'm thinking on her next appointment we'll have to get her a new pair as hers have really taken a beating (but the lenses are in great condition, just the frames that I or the optomotrist have to keep bending back into place ;) so while they were expensive they really have lasted GREAT!)
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 am

At the appointment they said they think it's ok for her to not have glasses yet as long as we are diligent in coming back yearly and keeping an eye on her for such things as losing her place too often while reading, having trouble seeing the board, etc.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Dylansmama on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I had to get glasses in grade 3. They were just for reading. I still remember, at recess I found it to be a pain in the butt to take them off and put them back in the case so I would just wear them. The problem is, I believe my eyes became dependant on them. Now I'm 28 and need them all the time. Not like glasses are a bad thing, just a pain sometimes. Like when you want to go swimming, (good thing I don't care for it!) even laying down is hard because you can't put your head on the pillow or the glasses get pushed off your nose! lol I think if he has to get them, he'll adjust. I got the old "four eyes" joke but that's when you just say "four eyes are better than two!" :D
Dylansmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:05 am

My (10 year old) DD went to her annual appointment last week too, and was found to be a wee bit nearsighted - the doctor wrote us a prescription for glasses (for at school) as well. :-(

Does anyone know, is it true that a child's first pair of glasses are free? Someone told me this, but not sure if that is accurate? How does one go about accessing that perk? :-k
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 pm

I haven't heard (nor experienced it ;) ) Charlene, however, Clearly Contacts (local BC company) often runs a free eyeglasses promotion (on your first pair). Once every few weeks they put out a code (usually on FB) and give away 1000 "free" pairs of glasses. You have to pay shipping (I got DD a back up pair through this and they were $12 shipping that's it!) and if the prescription is stronger than a certain amount or you want a certain lens type you may have to pay a bit more but still less than regularly.

Also I would suggest picking everything out the night before and making sure you have all the proper measurements and such so you can order first thing. It took about a half hour before I could get on the site but they still had a 100 pairs or so around 5pm :)

Because we wanted to double check we took them to our optometrists office and had them check them (usually there is a charge for this but my husbands boss' wife worked there ;) ) and she was surprised but said they were perfect :)

My DD doesn't like them nearly as much as her other pair but they are a good back up pair for the odd time we need one.
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Ok, thanks. ;-)
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting