KIV Community

What Are Your Reasons? (Violent Video Games)

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: What Are Your Reasons? (Violent Video Games)

Postby TazDevil on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm

I would go based on the ratings on the game. They are done by experts trained in the field and the ratings, like the warnings on cigarettes and the warnings on movies, are there for a valid reason. You can expect that game makers would love to remove them.

I would allow my child to watch age appropriate ratings blood and gore killing about the time I would think he was mature enough to watch games with sexual graphics. Funny how parents are OK with kids watching the adult rated full video in a video game of one character slaughtering another but wouldn't let their kid watch adult rated sex in video games.

As for the violence in the games doesn't constitute violence in real life, well the studies below are concluding the opposite. Kids, before their brains are fully developed as adults, do not think like adults yet and it is the desensitization to the violence that is the issue. I think the long term effects have yet to be determined because the type of realistic violence kids see today is nothing like the unrealistic graphics of even 10 or 15 years ago.

Google the studies. There is a very strong message that they are harmful rather than not?

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_ ... h_violence

http://www.apa.org/research/action/games.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111405.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02392.html
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Brenda N on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Blacken on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MizJennaKH on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm

MizJennaKH
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 am

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:04 am

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bakergal on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I think the worst parenting you can do is have the philosophy of 'well, their friends are doing it.' I think a lot of things should be child-specific and shouldn't depend on whether or not their friends are able to do/not do something. For this violent type video game- ratings are for a reason. No way a 10, 11, 12 year old should be playing a 17 year old game. Ratings are for a reason. I'm not saying hold off until they're exactly 17 years old to play these type games, but gauge your child. Is your child mature enough? Is he respectful? Kind? Treats people right and knows right from wrong? These 'types' of kids might be ok playing the violent games when they get a bit older. If, however, your child isn't mature, is rude, disrespectful, doesn't treat people well etc., this child should NOT be playing these types of games. Who really cares if their friends are. Maybe their friends can handle it, when clearly they can't. I think these games are stupid anyways, but always think about your child and what they can handle, and not worry about what their friends are doing. So stupid.
bakergal
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MizJennaKH on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Baker gal, what is 'so stupid' besides the games? Stupid is a swear word in my house btw. ;)
I agree with Taz, I wish that more parents felt the way I did about these games but the reality is...we don't all think the same. I can't judge anyone else's parenting, only my own. Therefore when my son comes home feeling very excluded from his already existing social awkwardness, not begging me to play but actually feeling left out....I chose to do my research to see if this is something I can compromise on for him. He has been so good at saying no or suggesting other games at friends houses ( which I believe hasn't been easy for him) I think he's level headed enough to play an assortment of these games on occasion; at friends' houses.
I still stand firm on a lot of my beliefs; this is just an emerging issue for my son that I wanted to be more educated on.
MizJennaKH
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MizJennaKH on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 pm

Ps. I'm very thankful for all the feedback on this question. I've taken almost very piece into consideration and I am grateful for the responses.
MizJennaKH
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Just want to clarify. We have a PS3 and a Wii. We have tons of video games that are super fun and don't have any blood and gore. It isn't like there aren't a thousand alternatives.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Previous

Return to Parenting