KIV Community

Allowance - How Much?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

How much is your child's allowance per week

$0 - My children don't get an allowance
44%
$0 to $4.00
19%
$4.01 to $7.00
22%
$7.01 to $10
11%
$10.01 to $15
No votes
$15.01 to $20
4%
More than $20
No votes

Total votes : 27

Allowance - How Much?

Postby 1mama1munchkin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

How much weekly allowance do you give your child, and why that amount? Can they spend the money as they please, or are the expected to purchase certain things (i.e. older children buying their own clothes.) Do you make them put some of it into savings? What are they allowed to spend those savings on?

My son has only brought up the idea of an allowance a few times until recently. When he brings it up I usually go over what he might get as an allowance compared to what I usually buy him and that settles it. Since he started middle school this year he's brought it up a lot, I think he feels left out because most of his classmates get an allowance.

Lately it comes up when I ask him to do his chores, he tells me other children get an allowance for doing chores. Now, I have always refused to pay him to do his share of the housework, we both live in the house so we both need to do the work of maintaining it. I also refuse to hand over a weekly amount of money for nothing as I beleive money should be earned.

I've been thinking about it though, and it occured to me that I could give him an allowance if he were to do some of my chores for me. That way he could have the allowance he so wants, but it would still fall within my parenting style. All that's left is to iron out the details. Thanks in advance for your input.
1mama1munchkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Allowance - How Much?

Postby Dylansmama on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm

I give my son $5 a week. He is 5 years old. I'm not doing the whole a dollar per age thing. I just thought it was a good amount. I get him to put half in his savings jar and he can spend half.
I think his savings jar should be saved for something 'big' for when he's older. Not just a toy. Either to be put towards college, a school trip or even a car. lol yes that can be considered silly but... it's something that I will not buy for him when he's older. It's a luxury not a necessity! Basically I would like him to save it until he's old enough to make a 'wise' decision with it.
As for what sort of things to do to make money, I get him to do things that aren't expected of a 5 year old. Like last week, he helped me rake the leaves and he did a darn good job! Just something bigger than putting away their clothes or cleaning their room.
Oh and if he does something really not expected of him, kinda like the leaves, I'll give him more money!
Dylansmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby brymommy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm

I too don't like $$ for regular chores, nor allowance for no strings attached. My plan is to make a "job jar/chart" in the near future where extra chores are assigned a value amount. So while the regular chores are expected to be done, if they are done and the kids would like to earn money for something extra or above what I would normal buy them then they can pick and choose from the extra chores. But for me the "regular" chores must be done before the extra ones.

Clean the toilet may be worth $2 to me where as sweeping a room may only be worth 50¢...

We haven't done this yet but I'm seeing that my oldest really needs to start doing something like this. She never needs for much but have an extra couple $$ here and there would be good for her :)
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 pm

My kids get their age per month so my 13 y/o get $13 per month and my 11 y/o gets $11/mth. They also get $2.00 a week each for cleaning out the litter box so it end up being around $20/mth. My kids don't save for anything. Every dollar they get their hands on ends up getting spent on junk so I cannot justify giving them more. Nor at this point can I afford it. If I saw that they were saving for something they truly wanted that was expensive, I would probably make them save half and I'd put in the other half. They also have to save (in the bank) half of their birthday and Christmas money money but get to spend the other half.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Mine get about 50 cents per chore they do, so it varies widely on how much they actually get. Sometimes they are very helpful, other times they really don't want to help much at all. They also get extra when they do a big job that's not routine. Their grandma also gives them money to help pooper scoop or sort her recycling.

They put their money in a savings jar. When we do things like go to Disneyland, they take some out for extra spending money. They had the book fair at school recently, so we allowed them to pick $10 each worth of books that we paid for. They then wanted more books, so we told them they can use some money from their jar for the extras, which they were happy to do. So far they don't ask to spend the money from their jar on toys or other junk. I think they are starting to head that way though. When that happens we will probably let them put half in their jar and spend the other half.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 pm

My kids don't get allowance. Instead they can do 5 "extra" chores (above standard expected) and get 2$. We have a chore chart so it may take them a few weeks to earn the 2$ or all in one day.

We did allowance and kept forgetting and the idea of just getting money because they want it without having to earn it didn't sit well with reality for me.

Our children can spend it on anything but food/candy. Their diet is regulated due to allergies. Also they don't buy their own clothes or anything like that.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby onceinvic on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm

We started an allowance for our oldest when he was six. He had to tidy his room and the playroom, and sit with his baby brother while I made dinner. He also had to be available to run errands, like grab a diaper or wipes while I was with the baby. He got $2/week.

As he got older, his responsibilities increased, and slowly his allowance did, too. He gets $10/week now. For that, he has to clean the litter boxes, watch his brother and sister (within reason -- babysitting for long periods gets him more cash), help with house and yard maintenance, walk the dogs, and a few other things. The money is transferred from our account to his. He went on a school trip overseas last year, and had $600 saved. He only spent $15, because he worked too hard for the money to spend it on "just anything". He has become an excellent saver and a careful spender.

Our middle son gets $5/week for a variety of chores. He does not always get them all done, so he does not always get his allowance. He tends to save towards bigger things, especially Lego.

Our youngest does not yet get an allowance, because there are no chores consistently done.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby trissysmommy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

We've struggled with this for some time, too. We believe that everybody in the house needs to help out with chores as we are a family. BUT we also believe that the only way children can learn to properly manage money is by getting some! So we've ended up paying them for chores - but we haven't defined necessarily "how much" time per day they need to help. They help with after dinner clean up, must do a half hour housework on the weekend, must give their room a good clean once a week, help with groceries, clean up after themselves every day and a few other odds and ends, such as laundry, the bathroom, etc.

We give our 10 year old $30 / month (our two younger ones get less). But we have also told him that everything he wants comes out of that. So if he wants to walk to the corner store with his friends and buy candy or a slushie, he uses his money. If we go out for lunch - we pay (we're not that mean...lol), but if he wants something a little more "extravagant"- say a large smoothie, when we'll pay for a small one, he can kick in extra money for it. If he wants a hot lunch at school, he pays for it.

We buy clothes, though :)

My mom saw somebody on a talk show explaining this principle and how at first, their child just kind of blew all their money. And then as different things came up over the month, and he had no money, he realized that he was going to have to save. As he grew up, he developed really good money managing skills.

We have found that our kidlets have responded the same way. At first my oldest just blew it all in one shot. And then was bummed that he had nothing for the next month! This month he has waited and is carefully considering what he wants!

Each month they are also required to save 10% of their money and give 10% to our church's Sunday school project of building wells in India.

I think the goal, overall, is that we all want our children to be wise and stewardly with their money. I want them to enjoy things, but I also want them to learn the principles of saving and of giving.
Nobody rises to low expectations :)
trissysmommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nickal on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 am

I do not give an allowance. I have 3 girls. 17-12 and 6 since my kids 11 1/2 yrs they have taken babysitting course and have done that for their go out money. My oldest at 14 started working at Mcdonalds. They all have chores to do,every day chores,weekly chores and monthly chores. I have done this since they were little so I do not get many complains about it.

The money they work for they can do what they want with it. They are actually very good with their money. They help with all the budgeting in the house. (my money) and I show them how to divide money into different "categories".food,car expense,clothes,vacation account etc...then from that a personal do what you want money.

I pay for everything for my kids and will continue till the day they stop school. The only thing I do not pay for, for them is the cell phone bill.
http://www.nikkialvarez.myarbonne.ca

https://www.facebook.com/Arbonne.Nikki

nikkiarbonne1@gmail.com

Pure. Safe. Beneficial.
Vegan certified & Gluten Free

order on-line directly MY ID #116310356
Nickal
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby sbenny on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Sara
sbenny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MH.Mom on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 am

MH.Mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby PeaceOut on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 am

My kids have their regular chores - dishes/litter box/their rooms/shoe area tidy, which they don't get paid for. If they want $ they get paid $10/hour for extra jobs - like organizing the pantry. Cleaning out the shoe room. Cleaning includes vacuuming a room......cleaning out the car...

Sometimes they need $ for movie etc, and they say "what can I do for $20.

I would probs just give them the $ if they just asked, so......this really helps me.
my kids are 10 and 15. The 15 year old should have a job, but has no time due to sport commitments.
PeaceOut
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Parenting