KIV Community

Hoarse Baby Voice

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Hoarse Baby Voice

Postby Mommymommamom on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm

My little DS is suddenly sounding very hoarse tonight, almost as if he is losing his voice. He rarely cries, so I know it isn't from crying too much. He did have a runny over the last week, and his big brother was sick - but no other symptoms. Is this normal? Any one else experience a hoarse baby voice?
Mommymommamom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Hoarse Baby Voice

Postby ItsKim on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Could he just have the cold that is going around? I know we have all had a cold with a slightly sore, scratchy throat that is causing hoarseness.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Liquidflight on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 am

Yes, my son would get that when he had a cold as a baby. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if he had a running nose and big bro is sick.
"Accept the children with reverence,
educate them with love,
send them forth in freedom."
-- Rudolf Steiner
Liquidflight
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby barb on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:17 am

How old is baby? this matters a great deal as to 'not worry'. If under 6 months, you should take to doctor. Wee ones should be seen anytime they are sick.
barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby chickypoo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:40 pm

I have to disagree with PP, in that I didn't think I needed to take our baby to the doc ...ours did have a hoarse voice and it was around 5 months of age that she did. It came quickly but absolutely NO other symptoms...no fever no runny nose, NOTHING else. It was concerning to me and I just watched her. Her appetite was the same, and within a few days it was gone. And nothing ever happened after that. Very weird as I have never heard of a baby getting that.
I think if they are happy, eating/drinking the same, no fever, no diahrea, no vomitting, etc, there's not much you can do about it.
chickypoo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mamacat on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am

Sounds like Croup to me. My son is a chronic Croup kid. Starts as raspy voice then quickly turns to hard time breathing. Make sure you watch for that seal cough and noisy breathing that come along. Not saying that this is the case, but it can accelerate quickly so keep an eye on it.
mamacat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting