KIV Community

What age stop bathing with kids?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

What age stop bathing with kids?

Postby OnceHarmony on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 pm

If you had baths with your kids what age were they when you stopped? Was it your decision or theirs?

DD still wants to have baths with me and I would have thought she would have stopped wanting to by now.
It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future ― Yogi Berra
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: What age stop bathing with kids?

Postby Dylansmama on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am

I haven't had a bath with my 5 year old son since he was 1. But that was just my preference. I just recently started to not let him see me naked. I think he's getting too old. But that being said....he's a boy. Maybe it's different with a child of the same sex? My girl is only 10 months so I have no issues with that yet! :D
Dylansmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:13 am

We have a daughter and she showered with Daddy until she was around 4 or so. They both started feeling uncomfortable so it was time to stop. She is 7 now and still will at times come in the shower with me. I think whatever works for your family is the right answer.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby tracy on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 am

Like katnipp said whatever works for your family is the right answer for your family I believe :)
tracy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Well I wouldn't worry about it among family at all. Kids go to pools and in the changeroom are naked in front of the same sex adults they don't know.

Whatever you are comfortable with. I never bathed with my kids though. Too much work. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Mommy_K on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 am

There's nothing strange about it, particularly with a child of the same sex. If you're uncomfortable with it though, there's nothing wrong with that either. Do what feels right. I myself did not bathe with my kids past infancy because that was often the only time I was left alone.
Mommy_K
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby jj on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 am

If I don't bathe the kids, they don't bathe. That being said, I don't share the shower stall with them - but I do scrub them down. I, too, find it weird that my kids want to be bathed by me i.e I hold the shower and they wash. My dd wants to take a bath with me all the time and my son gets me to wash him down. He does his privates. I keep telling him that I was showering by myself at age 10, but I think he likes being taken care of.

I am glad they are comfortable with their bodies and not embarrassed about the way they look. I think that is the main thing for me....

Jane
Jane Johnston, M.Ed.
Licensed REALTOR
PEMBERTON HOLMES LTD. 250-744-0775
E-mail me at: briarhillgroup@gmail.com
Thanks to all you KIV moms who refer me!
http://www.briarhillgroup.com
jj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Just_A_Dude on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 am

Geeze Louise!

I really sincerely hope I never had a bath with my mother when I was little. YIKES!

I do remember though my dad teaching me to shower up until about age 5, but after that I was on my own.
Just_A_Dude
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting