KIV Community

Surprised by your kids' food choices?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Surprised by your kids' food choices?

Postby OnceHarmony on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 pm

What foods do your kids like that surprised you?

DD likes grapefruit and grapefruit juice. :shock: Miso soup (grateful for that one). Pot stickers (another grateful for). Sunomono salad (another grateful for).
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Surprised by your kids' food choices?

Postby mommyx7 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:52 pm

asparagus well 3 of them like it
broccoli
lemon ,grapefruit
7 kids 5 boys 2 girls 18 -3
mommyx7
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby wonderwoman on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 pm

My youngest (7) loves olives, miso soup, sushi (well anything Japanese including seaweed salad and dries seaweed) pickes etc (you get the idea) A few years ago I gave her a yummy bowl of apple crisp and she took one bite and asked if she could have pickles instead :shock:

Both girls are good eaters though. Both will eat just about any veggie. My eldest is picky about her meat (no fat or bones please)

I'm pretty strict with food though. You HAVE to try what is in front of you..... 3 good sized bites chew and swallow even if it was in front of you last week and you didn't like it. They have become pretty good eaters. I do not cater to my kids tastes in food.
wonderwoman
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mominvic6 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 pm

I am surprised by my 3 year olds choices... her first foods were meat, she LOVED meat, all kinds... loved a good steak. Now- will not touch meat! Loves salad, sushi, vegetables etc.
My 2 year old, also, first foods meat, veggies etc, now doesn't like either! (They do still eat it, I just have to be realllly crafty :)
I honestly believe, and have found it works with all 5 of our kids, that the more you put something in front of the kids, the more likely they are to try/like it. I never omit meat from my toddlers plates, I put it there, and I am sure, at some point, they will eat and like it. I read somewhere it takes 17x of trying something you don't like to develop a taste for it- I find that that is true!
Last edited by mominvic6 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mominvic6
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

We've always given our 6 yo plain, full fat yogurt with a bit of jam, or honey or syrup on top. We went to grandma's house and she eats the 0%, aspartame sweetened kind in colorful containers. Our 6yo was so excited to try it. With the first bite, I could see her face literally fall - it was kind of funny! She stirred it a bit more, then leaned over to me and whispered, "Mommy, I do not like this yogurt. It tastes AWFUL!"
My mom would not believe that our dd did not like it - I had to explain that she had never had that kind before...
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:50 pm

My y/o loves old man cereal and will eat them right out of the box. Things like Fibre 1, All Bran and Kashi GoLean. Needless to say he is very regular. :lol:

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kattnipp on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 am

My girl love
lima beans
sardines
most meat(not beef in roast form)
brussel sprouts
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby rosamond on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I am very grateful that my daughter is a wonderful eater. We are vegetarians and she will literally eat anything with the exception of mushrooms and whipped cream. I worked really hard from the beginning to give her a varied and healthy diet (since I have struggled with my weight my entire life), so I wanted her to get good habits and have a healthy relationship with food. I guess her food choices aren't terribly surprising, but I am always amazed that she will pass on treats when she is full (me on the other hand..... :lol: ).
rosamond
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby LeftyChef on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

My first kid loved tomatoes from about 9 months on(she's almost three now).....she used to like yams but now she doesn't....loves broccoli, loves pickles, loves citrus fruit(eats limes rind and all), likes canned mushrooms and shuns fresh ones, likes pepperoni and salami, loves dilly dip for her raw veggies, HATES bananas, used to like spinach but recently decided that it's yucky, only likes marble or mild cheddar cheese(unless it's mozza melted on pizza or pasta), loves edamame(sp?) beans, dislikes chocolate milk(but loves chocolate), LOVES prunes, ate lettuce out of my mom's garden like a rabbit.....I can go on and on.

It always surprises me when she eats tomatoes like apples and then goes back for a second one.

We've been very lucky that she eats a variety of food. Our second baby is just over nine months an so far he eats everything we've given him. Today he had peanut butter and strawberry jam on bread and my husband shared some rhubarb compote on ice cream with him and he liked both of those.
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby otxena on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Pickle was literally my now two year olds first word. She requested one for breakfast today. I've never made my kids eat . . . My first hated strawberries, turned out allergy . . . So I've tried to balance tastes with respect. We have the "bite club" for trying a new bite of food without complaining, just with saying plainly what you thought. My two year old loves spicy foods. Neither will touch curries of any ilk.
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 pm

raw pasta.. and she eats peppers (red, green, yellow) like apples just take it out of the fridge and take a bite
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby newmom2006 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am

DD loves eating cilantro! It's a pretty strong herb and she loves it in her Pho noodles! :D

And this girl - she's gonna be an expensive date when she grows up! She loves steak and prawns - freshly caught prawns, steamed and served with garlic butter. :lol: However, she doesn't eat it any other way - we've tried pan frying it, or adding it to pasta (previously frozen) but nope - changes the texture (DS will eat it that way though)

DS - he's a simple eater, not as adventureous as his sister is, but we're working on it.
newmom2006
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Salmon fresh or canned
Spinach
Brocolli
Cauliflower
Raw carrots
100% Rye bread (all they eat)
All meats
Spelt and Rye pancakes

Actually my kids are less fussy than I am and DH is pretty strict about their diet. They don't complain either. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Salmon fresh or canned
Spinach
Brocolli
Cauliflower
Raw carrots
100% Rye bread (all they eat)
All meats
Spelt and Rye pancakes

Actually my kids are less fussy than I am and DH is pretty strict about their diet. They don't complain either. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby On purpose? on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Uncooked pasta
Liverwurst
Raisin Bran Cereal
On purpose?
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Parenting