KIV Community

Addicted to video games

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Addicted to video games

Postby jj on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 am

My son has taken to getting quite teary when we tell him to get off the computer. He behaves like an addict. Thoughts about dealing with this? We've just taken it away during the week for now...

Jane
Jane Johnston, M.Ed.
Licensed REALTOR
PEMBERTON HOLMES LTD. 250-744-0775
E-mail me at: briarhillgroup@gmail.com
Thanks to all you KIV moms who refer me!
http://www.briarhillgroup.com
jj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Addicted to video games

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 am

Reward him for good behaviour... Chores, helping with siblings, etc. earn him video game time...?

A rule in our household is there are no video games until homework and reading have been completed (within reason). As well, we have set the Family Timer setting on the XBox 360 so even if I forget what they are doing and get busy doing something else, the timer cuts them off. And there is no negotiating with a machine. ;)
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 am

We deal with this in our home too. It's hard because everyone in the family, including myself, enjoys gaming. For the kids we allow them about 30-45 min to play when they get home from school. When they are older and have homework that will need to be done first. We are a little more lenient on weekends. If they freak out when we tell them it's time to get off, then they lose their time for the next day. At the start, they were losing days in a row because of the tantrums when it was time to get off, but now they pretty much get off without any fuss at all. We also use it as a reward. If they do some extra chores, they get some extra time. It's a good motivator for them lol.

As I said, I also enjoy gaming and it's scary how many young teens I run into late at night who are still up and gaming. For some of them it's after 1 am and they are still up and gaming. It's crazy.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Jadine Happynook on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 pm

The rule in my house is there is no crying about video games. As soon as there are any tears it is turned off. Same with TV, as soon as there is fighting or tears about what to watch or not watch etc. It's off.

But that being said, my kids watch too much TV and play way too many video games. :roll:

The kids are fine with my rule for the most part, they get upset, but they know those are the rules.

Other options might be having a kitchen timer on while he's on there and he has that long, and if he makes a fuss, he looses tomorrow's time.

And when worst comes to worst, I give push ups and burpies as a consequence. (time outs don't work in my house)

Now I may sound mean, but my kids get lots of hugs and kisses and cuddles too :) haha.
Jadine Happynook - Norwex Independent Consultant

Please visit my facebook page:

I look forward to helping you make your home a little greener.
Jadine Happynook
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jj on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

It's reassuring to know that what we are going through is normal. I just can't identify with crying after something is over. We talked about it being a priviledge and how he has to do chores in the house if he wants rewards. He's getting it, but I find the issue is when he over does it and then has to get it.. it's like withdrawal.

Jane
Jane Johnston, M.Ed.
Licensed REALTOR
PEMBERTON HOLMES LTD. 250-744-0775
E-mail me at: briarhillgroup@gmail.com
Thanks to all you KIV moms who refer me!
http://www.briarhillgroup.com
jj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby JaynaF on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm

its tough! our son has been addicted to skylanders since christmas, when we got him the game.. LOL but he knows that if there are any issues over it, they go away for a while. we've done it before, and it was hard at first, but he now knows the consequences. we even grounded him from outside play, tv, video and computer games. all at once for a week. LOL but he respects it now.
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting