KIV Community

How to teach your son to wipe his bum

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

How to teach your son to wipe his bum

Postby ~Care~ on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 pm

I have been trying for so long to teach my ds to wipe his bum but no luck. He complains that it stinks, he gags, he can't reach, he is scared his going to get poop on his fingers,etc. Every excuse he gives me. Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to encourage/teach him??? :-k
~Care~
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: How to teach your son to wipe his bum

Postby otxena on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Clean trumps independent at age six but I feel your pain. With my dd right now I emphasize that THIS (poopy hands) is why so much handwashing in the potty. We are having her do the first wipe and then cleaning house. It's actually a bit of a tough motor movement with their arm to torso ratio. The other way to go is to pretty much clean up and then have him do the last wipe to get him used to the movement and responsibility without the dreaded poopy hand. These are professional tids (I'm an OT) but personally I also point out that I'm no more interested in poopy hands than she is (old enough to have empathy / understand). Good luck!
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 am

It is hard for sure. About the only thing I found that worked was to get them to do 3 "wipe and drops" before they do a "wipe and check". At first I'd do the wipe and check. Minimizes the smell and the mess :)
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ~Care~ on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

Thank you ladies for your tips. I shall try some of them.

otxena...being an OT maybe you know this...I always thought by the age of 6 most kids already know how to do this. I was thinking that my ds was behind in this, am I wrong?
~Care~
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

My son was a pro by 5, but my daughter has just turned 7 and still wants me to do it. She can do it if she has to, but she ended up having issues from "holding" it and not going because she didn't want to wipe, so right now just getting her to go is our focus...and at least getting her to wipe herself a couple times. I've wiped other kids 6 year old bums for them too :lol:
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby otxena on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:08 pm

No, he's not delayed at all. There are soooo many factors . . . Interest in self-care, level of personal interest in privacy, whether they relate a sense of accomplishment with a task, simple things like motor coordination, the flat out ability to reach, etc. . . Plus the poopoocacaphobia that a lot of children seem to profess. I wouldn't worry for a year or two for sure. It will be a good day in the house for us too! :D
otxena
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm

We use Kandoo sensitive wet wipes. He can use TP and then the wipe at the end. Also teaching them to fold instead of scrunch helps avoid messiness.

Seriously my DS is OCD in a lot of ways. He cleans the toilet if it gets a drop of pee. He is not fond of wiping but the wet wipes help.

We still help DS. He is over 6 too.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Sometimes they just "get it" in their own timing. A month ago now dd decided to make her own sticker chart and start wiping herself. For no reason at all.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting