KIV Community

How do I deal with picky dressers?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

How do I deal with picky dressers?

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm

My girls aged 4, and 7 will only wear leggings. Nothing else. Period. Until recently this wasnt really a problem, because they're pretty cheap, so whatever...but now that they're getting older they put holes in them after only a few wears! Sometimes I notice holes in them the very first time they wear them. I cannot keep buying pants that only get a couple wears. That is just rediculous...but yet they REFUSE anything else. Ive tried so many brands, thinking they might hold up better, but no. Ive tried everything. They wont even wear soft materialed khakis with elastic waists. my 7yo has 1 pair of yoga pants that she will wear, but she says they make her hot. I am sick of them destryoing their clothes. Does anyone have any idea on how to get them to wear proper pants?! The only thing I can think of is to quit buying leggings, and buy them normal pants and then they wont have a choice...but I cant decide if thats too mean. I am at my wits end.

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: How do I deal with picky dressers?

Postby saucy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Will they wear jeggings? They'd be a little thicker?
saucy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 pm

My DD will wear Children's place stretchy knit weave pants. They go on sale for 8$ a pair. She will not wear anything with a zipper or buckle or stuff that isn't like flexible.

http://www.thechildrensplace.ca/webapp/ ... reId=10152

The benefit is they aren't as tight as tights so they don't wear through as much.

We do the Children's place sales 2x a year and stock up in sizes.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovemy2girls on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Ohhh yes, I betchya they would wear those! I will definitely give those a shot!!

lovemy2girls
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kapoohhh on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

To get used to them transistioning. Make a day that maybe they are all dirty and they need to wear something else if they are going to a special place or the park. We give in to shorts here alot but then there is the days we want are 4 year old in pants. So the shorts are dirty. I went through that with my 10 year old as well. Loved shorts all year. My daughter 13 was a dress girl and now all she wears is pants. They all outgrow it eventually. :)
Second hand shopping you can find deals and all those leggings can be made into capris or shorts for summer.
kapoohhh
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 am

My DD was physical discomfort from zipper pants so that I totally get. She is not yet ready for discomfort for style sake. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting