KIV Community

Behavioral Summer Camps

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Behavioral Summer Camps

Postby IAMME on Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 pm

I am trying to find something for my step son for the summer, not sure if there are any programs like this in Victoria or not.

I am hoping to find some sort of boot camp to help with major behavioral issues... if you have any idea pls let me know

IAMME
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Behavioral Summer Camps

Postby Tay11 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I agree with pp
Bootcamps etc often result in anger and resentment. For a child that may already foster such emotions they can only get worse.

I would also suggest therapy or perhaps a leadership or fun/wilderness camp. I would call the boys and girls club for help or a place where they can volunteer during the summer. Someplace that will foster inner growth and maturity.

How old is your teen?
Tay11
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Behavioral Summer Camps

Postby Principal44 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Boot camp on some level can be effective, but family background, age, personal problems - all vary; therefore, so must solutions. However, there are some bedrock principles that are common ground for every type of behavior, and for any age level too - so these principles can be applied throughout the scope of life (even adult, as you will here). Behavior modification is a life choice and must be lifelong. As a young teacher,I was constantly frustrated with the behavior of many students. I learned from Diane Gossen http://www.realrestitution.com/ that I had to also praticipate in their transformation with my own behavioral modifications. Using her ideas, I ran very successful school discipline models, because I changed the model to fit the character of my schools, and each family represented. More amazingly, I used these principles, in part, to help me come out of a deep personal nightmare; so I know the principles work. My personal situation now allows me time to further work in this area. I would be certainly willing to do a free workshop to give parents some great ideas, but more importantly, HOPE, during troubling times. However, to be successful, I would need someone to help with organization requirements. But in truth, the workshop is geared for one parent or many, so no worries. I am away in Saskatchewan July 20 - August 15, but before or after these dates, an afternoon or evening workshop can be arranged in short order. Email reply is best. Ps. I can give references, and character witness support if requested.
Principal44
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting