KIV Community

Nursing strike or abrupt self weaning...how to cope?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Nursing strike or abrupt self weaning...how to cope?

Postby kruk on Wed May 15, 2013 3:00 pm

The last full feeding my 14.5 month old daughter did was last evening at bedtime. She refused to nurse throughout the night, and was in obvious discomfort due to teething. She refused to latch at all. I've been offering her the breast casually today and she just turns her head away. She did latch for few minutes on one side this AM before her nap, and then this afternoon for, literally a few seconds, just long enough to realize what she was doing, then came off and turned her head away.

I'm concerned it's either a strike due to teething pain, or possibly because I started the mini pill on the weekend. I'm just hoping it is a coincidence and has nothing to do with the pill....

OR, shes just done. I know I've read that they rarely abruptly self wean, but if that's what it is, what can you do?

So I will continue to offer her the breast. In the mean time, I am getting a bit engorged. I do not own a pump, nor do I want to pump. Is it ok to just relieve some of the pressure when I need to?

I am aware not pumping could compromise my milk supply and that is ok. I'm not willing to get too aggressive here, I will just keep offering and see where we are at in a few days.

I'm looking for stories of support. It's been a rough and emotional day for both of us. Any words of wisdom or suggestions on how to cope?
kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Nursing strike or abrupt self weaning...how to cope?

Postby polarbear on Wed May 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Express what you can by hand...in a warm shower helps...to relieve the pressure for you.

What about addressing the teething pain ?
polarbear
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kruk on Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes, we give her tylenol and ibuprofen as needed for the pain.

I don't usually give her anything in the night unless it's particularly bad, and only tylenol. I gave her a dose last night, though.
kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby polarbear on Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Hmmm...maybe she is simply just done then.

Although now that I think of it I started on a mini pill with my 2nd and she refused to nurse for a couple of days too...I kept offering and she did pick it right up again....good luck!!
polarbear
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby rosamond on Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 pm

My daughter abruptly weaned at 15 months. She had been nursing about 3 times per day and then one evening I offered her the breast and she actually laughed and walked away! :lol: She never nursed again.
rosamond
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Our son self weaned as well - similar to this, but a few months older. He nursed briefly a few times, and then didn't want to anymore really. I didn't offer either though, as I was ready to have my boobs to myself again :)
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kruk on Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah, I think she's done. Every time I offer her the breast at naps she acts VERY offended. It's funny and kind of insulting at the same time.

I had to send hubby out to rent a pump. As much as I didn't want to pump-I was in agony and got no sleep last night. I was so engorged I could even hand express. But now I am feeling better! Almost like myself! The hormones were a wild ride yesterday...but better now.

So I'm going to wean myself using the pump. No idea how long it will take, but it's much more comfy :)

She will drink my milk out of a cup, so strange. She likes the milk, hates the boob. Odd little Duck.

Thank you ladies so much, you really did help me feel better. I was a raving lunatic by last evening, thankfully I'm much better now!
kruk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby five-seven-five on Thu May 16, 2013 7:03 pm

It's a bit late since you have a pump now, but if you're really engorged, you can also put green cabbage leaves on your breasts to help (they will reduce milk supply if used more than a few times a day for 20 minutes at a time). If you are really done and are fully weaning for sure, leave the leaves on the breast until they wilt, then apply new leaves as often as needed for comfort.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting