KIV Community

tell me about your 5-6year age gap

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

tell me about your 5-6year age gap

Postby Upster98 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 pm

So DS is 4 1/2... and i'm not gunna lie, ive starting THINKING about possibly having another.

I was set on only having one for quite some time, but for some reason I've been thinking otherwise.

So my question is to all of you who have an approximate 5-6 year age gap between your kids....

Not so much when the youngest is a baby, but how is it with them growing up?

Is it something you chose? Do you regret the big age gap?
Anything you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

(And to those who know me.... it's just THINKING about a second :lol: )
Upster98
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: tell me about your 5-6year age gap

Postby Dylansmama on Tue May 21, 2013 2:23 pm

I know you didn't ask about the baby stage, but my kids are 5 years apart, with no kids in between, and it's been great! My 6 year old son has been so helpful. My daughter is now 15 months and there has only been one incident with jealousy. The only bad part, in my opinion, has been having to do the baby stage again! I'm not a huge baby person. And having been out of the baby stage for a few years, it was hard to go back. The age gap wasn't intentional. We really wanted our son to have a sibling. Now that he has one, we are done! :D
Dylansmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Our eldest is about to turn 8, with our youngest having just turned 3 this past weekend. They are so close it makes my heart melt. It is the middle child that has the hardest time with BOTH the eldest and the youngest. It helps that our eldest and youngest's personalities are similar, again with the middle child being a completely different personality.

All this, to say... I find siblings with MORE years between then end up being closer to one another once adults, whereas those with siblings close in age end up being not so close later in life. (OBV my experience ;)
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby onceinvic on Tue May 21, 2013 8:01 pm

My oldest is nearly 15 (not sure when that happened!), the next is 9, the third just turned 6. They all get along great, and always have. My oldest adores babies and toddlers, and was an amazing help when his brother was born.

The eldest sometimes just needs space these days, and we respect that, but he is so great with the younger two. He plays catch with them, goes for walks, plays Wii, and just hangs out. He loves introducing them to new things.

We sometimes have to remind him that he is their brother, not their father -- he tries to parent/discipline, and we don't let him (he can be really bossy!).

We have loved the age spread. It really works well.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby rea on Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm

:-k ... I'm wondering where I went wrong as my 3 yrs old and 8 yrs old mostly argue and push each other's buttons.
rea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby onceinvic on Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 am

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Maia'smom on Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 am

I am far closer to me sister who is 5 years younger than my sister who is 2 years younger. My kids are 4 years apart, so a little less, but just recently they are becoming very close and can actually play very well together (they are 7 and 3). Of course they fight, but the close times are getting more frequent. I watch them and just smile!
Maia'smom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 am

The biggest issue I have with the age gap is that the 7 y/o constantly wants to play and hang out with the 11 and 13 y/o and they don't want to. He wants to do what the older kids are doing and they don't want to include him. Its also difficult finding tv shows they can all agree on becasue the 13 y/o wants to watch shows that the 7 y/o either isn't interested in or can't watch. Just this morning my 7 y/o was in tears because he feels left out. The older kids in the neighborhood want to do their own thing and he isn't invited. I try to find activities they can all participate in and sometimes it works, but I also encourage him to play with the kids closer to his own age. The problem is, his two closest friends are both only children and really look up to the older kids and want to play with them as well.

The easiest thing I found is that I can focus more of my attention on the younger child because the older ones are more independent and don't need it as much. It was also nice being able to spend a lot of one on one time with my youngest when he was a baby and the other two were in school. I didn't get that with my first two because they were so close in age and my dd was a very demanding (still is :-D ) baby and toddler.

I don't think there is a perfect age gap. What works for some doesn't work for others. Some find having kids a couple of years apart makes them closer. Others find having a larger gap better. Having tried for 5 years just to have kids, I'm happy with what I got. And its worked out for us.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting