KIV Community

Hyper Sensitive to Pain?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Hyper Sensitive to Pain?

Postby TazDevil on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 pm

So my DS seems to be so hyper sensitive to pain. He fell over and skinned his knee mildly (minimal blood), or just pricks his finger and he screams really loud and sobs like he has broken his arm or someone has stabbed him.

Then if we put on a bandaid (because of blood) he becomes obsessed with it not falling off, getting wet, etc and it gets to the point that the bandaid is more of an upset than the hurt itself. We don't use them unless absolutely necessary.

I thought it was initially like what kids do for attention but it doesn't seem to matter if or DH are there or not. He really seems to be hurt a lot by minor abrasions.

Does anyone else have a DS or a DD who does this? DS is a sensitive boy and with coordination disorder he tends to be very clumsy which does not help at all.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Hyper Sensitive to Pain?

Postby jack's mum on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am

DS became like this around the age of 5 or so and is just outgrowing it now, it seems. With the exception of needles--which he's developed a huge fear of unfortunately--his reactions have gradually lessened over time. I think a large part of it has to do with school and peer reactions to things. As he became more self-conscious about overreacting to things at school (which really started around grade 2, I think) he calmed down more outside of school too.

I thought too that DS was destined to be hyper-sensitive (and he does have a Sensory Processing Disorder so I was beginning to think that this was part of it), but it appears to have been an age "thing" (or maybe just a psychological thing) that he's been able to get over on his own thankfully. Hopefully your DS passes out of it too at a certain stage.

ETA: Not that I usually try and minimize DS' feelings, but--in this case--whenever he did overreact I generally tried to either ignore the behaviour or downplay it so that he knew that his reaction was over the top. Eventually I think his peers' reaction at school kind of reinforced this attitude as well.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
jack's mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby chickypoo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:45 am

My 6 year old is very similar...scrapes her knee minimal blood and you would think she was run over by a car or something. Almost hyperventilates from crying!!! Ironically she has had bloodwork twice and was brave and did very well! :-k Kids...they always keep you guessing don't they!
chickypoo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting