KIV Community

Car Seat Experts

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Car Seat Experts

Postby snubby99 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:47 am

Good Morning;

My wife and I are expecting our first in a few weeks and one of my jobs is to figure out how to properly install the new car seat we've purchased. Obviously I'd like to make sure I do it properly, so I'm wondering if anyone has any personal recommendations for expert installers I could speak with who could give me a hands on lesson.

Thanks! :)
snubby99
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Car Seat Experts

Postby Samandemma on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:29 am

ICBC has clinics to help you and to assess the safety of the installation, as do many of the Fire Departments (just call to inquire). BCAA also offers this service.
Best of luck!
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

This is actually something you and your wife should learn. There will be times that she'll need to install a car seat herself and knowing how to do it properly is important. I'm actually surprised by how many people can't install it correctly as we've never had a problem doing it. My husband and I both install it with me putting all my weight on the carseat, and him pulling the straps as tight as he can and buckling it. And everytime I've gone in to have the car seats checked, I've been told that they are installed correctly. Once I was even told that it was the only seat they had seen that day that was installed correctly. When I have to do it myself, alone, its very difficult to get it in properly. Your best bet if you can't find a car seat clinic, is to fiddle around with it, with your wife, and practice getting it tight. The car seat should barely move if its installed correctly. If it can move from side to side, which is usually what happens when one person tries to install it alone, it is not correct.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 am

What kind of carseat?

For the infants the absolute best is the bucket seat with the base it snaps into. Then you can put it back and forth between the buggy and the car without waking the infant.

The thing with the base or carseat - put it in the center. That is the safest. Otherwise behind the passenger seat.

If you have the latch in your car, locate the two metal bars on either side between the back and base seats. Secure the latch straps without twisting and make sure the clip part that moves is on the bottom. Sit on seat or base so it is as tight as you can get it. It should not move more than 1/2 inch.

If you have just a lap belt with no shoulder strap or latch put the belt through where it indicates and then sit on it and tighten it as hard as you can. The seat should not move more than 1/2 an inch side to side.

If you have a shoulder belt they are the hardest to secure. Some cars have a locking mechanism that if you pull the strap out all the way until they end then when they go back in they click and they are locked when you tug. Tighten as above.

If you have the non-locking shoulderstrap then you need a locking clip. It should be provided with the cardseat and looks like a metal H. You can buy them in Walmart separately too. Tighten as above and then put on the locking clip on the shoulder and lap strap so the clip is as close to the carseat as possible. Again the carseat should not move more than 1/2 inch.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby T on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

On Facebook check out the Vancouver Island Car Seat Technicians page. They are certified techs, have postings about their carseat clinics and could help you if you want to try to arrange someone to help you individually.
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby JSmomtobe on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Call Campus Honda. They have two staff who are trained carseat technicians and regularly do checks and training. I think Brad is his name.

:)
JSmomtobe
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting