KIV Community

9 yo picky eater

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

9 yo picky eater

Postby renka on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 am

My 9yo dd is a very picky eater - she has been a picky eater for most of her life - she ate everything I gave her until she turned 2 then she started turning food away and it just seems to be getting worse. She dealt with a parasite for about 4 years and had tummy aches every day until she was finally diagnosed and given the right medication. The parasite seems to be gone now but she still doesn't eat a lot. She eats very little that I make - unless it's crackers or bread or anything with sugar in it.

I am getting very worried about her. She is very thin and barely eats anything from her plate at any meal. I have tried all sorts of food. We try to eat very healthy as our other child has food sensitivities so we are eating gluten free, dairy free and egg free. Even before we were on this diet she was picky.

I am just getting so worried that she is never going to eat. I have heard that you should not make an issue out of eating but to see her getting thinner and thinner and still not eating is starting to freak me out.

I am not sure what I am looking for - comfort? Tips? Anyone else have experience with this? What did you do? Is this another parenting issue that I just have to breathe through and repeat "this too shall pass?"
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: 9 yo picky eater

Postby Victoria Family Meals on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 am

Contact QA, they can offer tip to help work with the picky eating stage. I would work on getting her to eat higher fat food and higher calorie foods that she likes.

Does she need to be on the no eggs, dairy and gluten?

What does your doctor say?

http://nicolehietamaa.myepicure.com/
http://www.facebook.com/NicoleHietamaaEpicure
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicoles-Steeped-Tea
http://www.mysteepedtea.com/NICOLEHIETAMAA
Victoria Family Meals
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby renka on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am

She saw a pediatrician who was no help at all. Our GP thinks it is the parasite and now her gut needs to heal but she won't eat the food that she needs to heal her gut! She has also seen a naturopath.

She is 9 now - this stage has been going on for 7 years :( I thought it was the parasite but now that is gone, I just keep thinking she will pass this stage and stop being so picky - is it still a stage if it's been going on for so long?
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd try to get her involved in more of the grocery shopping and meal prep. That always adds interest to a meal for my kids! If she'll eat dairy, I'd add cheese etc to her meals to help add some weight onto her. Will she drink pediasure or ensure?
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm

For ALL our knowledge - what were the signs / symptoms of the parasite?!
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby morningcalm on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I second the previous poster that suggested that you contact the QA. I've heard that they have a "food school" program for children that are super picky eaters.
morningcalm
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

Will she eat nutrient dense whole foods? (i.e. whole grains, beans, salmon, hemp oil, yogurt, lentils, oatmeal, brown rice, etc etc) Just plain though, no sauces or anything added?
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StitchedUp on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:51 am

I just saw this ad on KIV and immediately thought of this thread.

StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Victoria Family Meals on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

My picky eater loves dip. I make an Epicure Dip (1/2 Creamy Ranch 1/2 Lemon Dilly) but I replace sour cream with higher fat Greek Yogurt. He dips everything in it and has even tried new veggies with dip.

http://nicolehietamaa.myepicure.com/
http://www.facebook.com/NicoleHietamaaEpicure
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicoles-Steeped-Tea
http://www.mysteepedtea.com/NICOLEHIETAMAA
Victoria Family Meals
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby renka on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Signs of the parasite - ongoing tummy aches, weight loss, pale. I kept taking her to the dr who kept saying it was anxiety - and she has always been low on the growth chart and pale so the dr didn't think that was part of it. I agreed with the diagnosis because it was through kindergarten and grade 1 and she did have a lot of school anxiety.
Then during the summer holidays after Grade 1 and 2 years of daily tummy aches I took her back to the GP and asked if we could get a stool sample because there was no way she had school anxiety through summer break! Sample came back positive. Here's the frustrating part - she got better, she grew, she glowed, she had energy and no more tummy aches......for 3 days. I still remember the sinking feeling in my gut when she put down her fork one night and said, my tummy hurts. It went down hill again pretty quickly after she finished the meds. Her stool samples kept coming back negative so we worked on treating the anxiety no better.
Anyway, we finally found a new family dr (our family dr retired in the middle of all this) and right away he said it is likely the parasite still.
We took her to a pediatrician who did every test you can imagine including a barium swallow - and nothing was there to give a reason for the tummy pain and that pediatrician also said it was likely just anxiety. The pediatrician said there was no way it could be a parasite but our GP, naturopath and chiro all said what else could it be?
So, finally I insisted on a round of antibiotics that was very strong and now she is better - no more tummy aches. And she grew over an inch in 3 weeks. It was amazing. I have to say our GP was amazing and supportive and helpful and I am sure she would still be suffering if I hadn't found him.

But..... her pickiness is getting worse. And the fights are unbearable - I know I shouldn't make food an issue - I just don't know what to do anymore - and now her younger siblings are not eating either. My side of the fight is coming from fear watching her get so skinny and still not eating. Tonight her dish ended up on the floor because she didn't want to eat it.

[i]"Will she eat nutrient dense whole foods? (i.e. whole grains, beans, salmon, hemp oil, yogurt, lentils, oatmeal, brown rice, etc etc) Just plain though, no sauces or anything added?"[/i]
No - she won't - yogurt only if it is one of the ones from the store with added fruit/flavour. She will eat oatmeal with toppings. I try to not allow it but she will only eat it with brown sugar. I tried to not have brown sugar in the house so it wasn't an option but then she wouldn't eat anything.
What is better? Eating nothing or something covered in sugar?

And she won't eat dips. I have tried.

I emailed the nutritionist - thank you for the link.
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StitchedUp on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 pm

I won't eat oatmeal without brown sugar on it (and buttermilk -- yum!)! I agree that if her diet is that restricted, I wouldn't worry about a bit of sugar if it means she'll eat something.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby five-seven-five on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:26 pm

I'd go for the sugar to get the good food in. I like my oatmeal with real maple syrup on it (it has a little bit of iron and calcium in it). Dried cranberries are also tasty and complement the syrup. Sliced almonds might be pushing it, but they are nice too.

I hope that it gets better for you, I'm sorry that I don't have anything else to add.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ashmel on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Have you tried putting a fruit purée or low sugar jam or honey in plain yogurt? Still yummy for her, and you get to know exactly what's in it?
<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beany on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:16 pm

QA has programs for the parents of picky eaters. That would be a good beginning. Just looking at what you are saying from an outsiders point of view is there are many things it could be, I have had a child with egg, gluten intolerences and it is hard, I did not make his brother follow his diet though. Yes we ate healthy however big bro had the intolerance not little. It could be anxiety, It could be a physical medical condition,it could be a power struggle following an illness. There is a lot of control in the "food fight meals"It is one of the only things children can control. I am not saying that is what it is but it is always a possiblilty. Qa is fantastic, child 3 of mine has had us closely linked with them for 8 yrs. We are lucky to have a childrens resource such as this so I would make use of it for assistance. They will tell you to pack calories in her food for sure.I have a friend whose 10 yr old is so picky that he eats 6 cookies for lunch. She makes them fresh with honey,grains, seeds and things containing protien so he gets something. He is tiny but almost never sick.She has tried everything and the only thing that works is going with what he will eat at that time. Good luck and please let us know how you make out. It must be so concerning for you.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Parenting