KIV Community

Best stroller brand/Best Carseat brand??

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Best stroller brand/Best Carseat brand??

Postby newmommy19 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:12 am

Hello all,
I am starting to look for strollers/carseats as I am expecting. I thought I'd try here first, since there must be people who have done the research before me. I could narrow my choices a bit.
I am fairly active and would like a solid stroller that can do a little 'off-roading', but also navigates the city streets with ease.
As for the car seat, I am just looking for something that is safety rated and can transition well thoughout the first couple of years.
Thanks, Newmommy19
newmommy19
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Best stroller brand/Best Carseat brand??

Postby momease on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 am

Hi there Newmommy19,

It's Lyra here from Momease Baby Boutique at Mattick's Farm, and I thought I would pipe in on this one and help if I could. I will endeavor to keep my response unbiased, however I was once in your shoes as a prospective new parent and actually decided to open our store after having done a tremendous amount of research on the top rated brands in a wide range of baby gear genres. I also wish that I had received some good, honest advice when purchasing my own"big ticket" items like the stroller and car seat way back when, so that's a major part what we aim to do for our customers here at the store...
On the one hand, it's a great time to be a parent as there is a TON of choice out there on the market. On the other, narrowing your product choices down to just a few can be an overwhelming and stressful task!
For strollers, you will see a lot of 3 wheel, all-terrains out and about in Victoria due to our outdoor-loving lifestyle & great access to trails and "off-road" areas. It sounds like this may be the way to go for you as well. There is a balance though with some 3 wheels against all-terrain capability and shear bulk/weight, so it also sounds like you would like something maneuverable and fairly compact? Some great & locally well-loved choices to look into that fit this bill quite well would be: the Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle, the Bumbleride Indie 3-wheel, the Baby Jogger City Mini GT, the BOB Revolution SE and the Valco Baby Tri Mode stroller. The weights between these strollers vary a bit, as well as the fold, maneuvering capabilities and extra features, so testing-driving all of these strollers out in person is a real must in my opinion if you want to ensure you find the best fit for your family.
One factor that I found really important in retrospect for my own initial stroller purchase was the ability to grow the product with my family too. If you're looking at having more than one child, it's a great idea to look at how a stroller can be configured to accommodate a growing family. Many strollers out there offer toddler or rumble seats, and even buggy ride-on boards for older children to stand on once they have a little brother or sister in the main stroller seat.
Just as a note, we only offer 2 of the above stroller brands that I listed, so I am really trying to give you the best idea possible about the options available to you in Victoria and there are number of great local retailers that carry these buggy lines.
I do hope some of this helps make a decision easier, and please don't hesitate to be in touch via phone, email or Facebook message with any questions I can help answer for you. We also carry 3 different brands of car seats but I don't want to overwhelm you here with information, so please feel free to contact me to discuss those too ;-)

Take good care and happy stroller/car seat hunting!

Lyra McLean
Co-Owner of Momease Baby Boutique & mother of 2

Momease Baby Boutique
at Mattick's Farm
#121-5325 Cordova Bay Rd.
Victoria, BC
V8Y 2L3

www.facebook.com/MomeaseBabyBoutique
coming soon to momease.ca
momease
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby newmommy19 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you so much for your in-depth response, Lyra. I will be sure to swing by your store sometime within the next six months and view your selection of all things 'baby''. I really appreciate the time you took to respond and all of the details you provided. Clearly your product knowledge is super extensive!
newmommy19
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby saucy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 pm

I really liked my Bugaboo Frog (they don't make that model anymore though I don't think) and Peg Perego car seat combo.
saucy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby momease on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 am

So glad you found the response helpful "newmommy19". It can certainly be overwhelming when you have so many great options, but I suppose that choice is a nice problem to have on such a big ticket item :)

Wonderful to see that other KIV Community users are responding here as well with suggestions. So glad to hear you like your Bugaboo Frog "saucy", and yes you're right, Bugaboo no longer makes the Frog but they do make a similar stroller now called the Cameleon3. The Cameleon3 is a great urban or multi-terrain 4-wheel option, and Bugaboo has also recently released their Buffalo All-Terrain stroller which has been doing very well in outdoor-loving Victoria. We are proud to be Vancouver Island's only retailer for the Bugaboo brand at Momease Baby Boutique and we welcome any questions on the strollers or test-drives too!

I hope to welcome you to the store at some point over the next few months newmommy19. Just a note that we also offer one-on-one registry consultations and love spending the time with our customers to make sure we connect each family with their own perfect parenting products!

Best regards, Lyra McLean

Momease Baby Boutique
at Mattick's Farm
#121-5325 Cordova Bay Rd.
Victoria, BC
V8Y 2L3

Follow us on Facebook for new product announcements, coming events & contests too: www.facebook.com/MomeaseBabyBoutique
momease
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Kathryn Paris on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:52 pm

I have worked at TJs for 5.5 years and while I cannot give my preference while at work, i think it's okay to here.
I love Baby Jogger's strollers!
They are amazing quality and have a limited LIFETIME warranty on the frame.
The company is also amazing with customer service and keeping us sales people up to date on their products. Not every company is willing to come to the island!
As far as car seats, I think the Britax B-Safe car seat is the best one, and definitely works best with the Baby Jogger strollers.
Let me know if you want me to give more specific answers. :)
Kathryn Paris
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting