KIV Community

Shy kid

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Shy kid

Postby sah on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Any thoughts to help a previously outgoing child (was 6 now 7) who is becoming less and less outgoing and more shy? There has been no big changes in our family in the last year. Two years ago my mom was diagnosed with cancer but is doing better now (still battling but better and we go to the mainland to see her when we can). I've talked to the school and they don't see any big change but notice that she isn't as outgoing as well. I take her to and from school everyday so that hasn't changed.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I look into counselling? Is it something that she will grow out of?

Anybody else have this experience?

Thanks
sah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Shy kid

Postby nolan's mom on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Does she have any other issues that go along with the shyness? Is she struggling in school? Does she have friends? Issues with friends? Does she exhibit any anxiety symptoms? When you say "shy" what do you mean, with peers, with adults?
nolan's mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sah on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 pm

She has no other symptoms besides being shy. She has friends, doesn't do a lot of play dates but does some. No struggles at school, her school work and her behaviour towards school is the same. When I say shy I mean that she use to go outside and play with the neighbourhood kids all the time but now won't go unless someone goes out with her. She use to have no problem saying "hi" to people we know now she hids her face and doesn't want to say hi to our family friends. She only wants to do stuff with school friends which doesn't always work. For example yesterday was a nice day all the kids in the neighbourhood were outside playing but she refused to go out. One sibling was out there the other was out with friends. She just wanted to do things with me even if it meant helping with housework.
sah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby nolan's mom on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:11 pm

One really good resource that I have found both personally and professionally is the anxiety bc website. It sounds like your daughter may have some anxious tendancies and the website has a lot of good tips and strategies to help manage anxiety that anyone can use. http://www.anxietybc.com/ check it out.
Good luck.
nolan's mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sah on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks for the website. Will take a look at it.
sah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Annikki on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 am

This sounds like my daughter, however she won't go to Birthay parties, playdates etc. It a struggle to get to attend any of these things. We try to gentle with her and I've atended playdates and birthdays with her but that just clauses clinginess and lack of participation on her part.

I feel your struggles.

Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby wee_opal on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm

I wonder if it has something to do with the age that they start to realize how other's perceive them?
I remember my daughter as being the little girl on the dove commercial 'I like my hair, I like my house ... I love everything' ... then she became less confident in grade 3. She has come full circle, I'll find her outside chatting in the garden with the neighbour, or she'll be chatting away with a cashier at the store and I almost have to nudge her.
Helping them feel confident in themselves whether it's drawing, sewing, gardening etc I think helps.
It's hard as they become their own little people, isn't it? Awe ... good luck!
wee_opal
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting