KIV Community

Teens and pot

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Teens and pot

Postby scanto on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 pm

My kids say it's everywhere at school. Half the people there either have it or smoke it. It's no big deal, not addictive, it's becoming legal in more and more places, blah, blah, blah. I'm 100% opposed to it but seem to be in the minority it seems. When did it become so commonplace? I don't remember it being around so much when I was in high school (doesn't seem that long ago). Thoughts?
scanto
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Teens and pot

Postby DELETEPLEASE on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:27 pm

DELETEPLEASE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby 2roses on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for this post scanto! My DD started telling me stories of kids she knows doing pot as young as 13. In the last couple of years, there seem to be more and more kids she knows doing it. In fact, there is a boy that has asked her out recently that has said he sells pot. I have no idea if his parents know or even care? I only know because once a month I scan her facebook messages (no, she doesn't know :wink: ) and came across the conversation. Maybe I'm old school but I am not OK with it! Luckily, my teens don't seem the least bit interested in it...

So question for anyone - if your teen was smoking pot would you care? And would you want another parent to tell you if you didn't know?
2roses
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:30 pm

You most definitely aren't alone!

My niece is in grade 8 and knows a lot of kids in 8th and 9th grade smoking pot. I was shocked!

My mom is a huge pot head and has been forever. I remember being a teen and being totally embarrassed to have friends come over because none of my friends smoked. It does seem like it's more prevalent now, or maybe I was just oblivious when I was young.

As for it being harmless...I say it's bs. People say you can't get addicted. My mom most certainly is addicted. It has affected her mentally. When she has been hospitalized and can't smoke she is a totally different person. It really affects her mentally. It also interferes significantly with her seizure meds. She may be an extreme case, but it's still not harmless.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby scanto on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I found out that one of my kids had tried it (suspected so looked at his phone) and that's why I posed the question. He's been told in no uncertain terms that although it may be ok in some families, in most certainly is not ok in our family. He is generally a good kid, does well in school, but now I know I need to keep a close eye. It's out there everywhere!

Thanks for your story about your mom, ItsKim. I think it's important for kids to know stories like that so they can see the true human side to what pot can do. My kids see Rob Ford and how he's portrayed in the media and think it's hilarious. Nice role model.
scanto
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby onceinvic on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Pot has been readily available for decades. It was around and people were casual about using it when I was in high school, and that is over 20 years ago. I don't see any change at all....

Heck,you can't walk downtown Victoria without smelling it!
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 pm

i imagine it will continue to become mainstream. When I was growing up, I knew about it but never tried it. Friends did, but not many. But most, if not all, drank while underage.

Forgetting that pot is illegal in BC, I am curious how people would answer this:

If you child is going to EITHER smoke pot or drink alcohol between the ages of 14 and 19, which would you PREFER they do?
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ashmel on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 pm

I graduated in 2000 and I knew of lots of people who did it. It was definitely readily available. I believe my siblings smoked casually, but I had no interest in it so it's not something we discussed. I remember the police coming to a middle school dance because there were some kids in possession.

In general I don't have an issue with alcohol or marijuana when used in moderation by adults.

Not being at that stage with my kids yet, if I found out they were doing either without me knowing I would be very concerned and urge them to wait until they are adults. And then things would probably fall into my husband's court, and he would have a more definite approach. Lol. But I hope to have the type of relationship with my girls by that time where they will feel comfortable enough to call me if they need to regardless of what they have been doing.
<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sidneysue on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 pm

I work in a high school and we have professionals from mental health come in regularly. Pot is NOT the same as it used to be. It like so many other thing has be genetically modified and the amounts of THB is 10x what it used to be. They are seeing a huge increase in children having irreversible mental health issues that are triggered by pot YES there is proof and numerous studies that say as much! If your family has any history of mental health issues your children need to know ASAP so they can make informed choices. The leading mental health issue related to pot is schizophrenia. My dad has also smoked pot for 40 years and he IS addicted and is so forgetful and out of it at times. I hope it doesn't get legalized. It will be so hard to police from a driving stoned perspective, the last thing I want is some person driving high on my neighbourhood streets! :eek:
sidneysue
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby wee_opal on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:52 pm

As my parents use to day, if so-and-so were to jump off a bridge would you?

I am opposed to pot smoking, because I have seen many people in my life become chronic pot smokers. My ex being one of them. Young developing minds should not be getting high on a regular basis. It may be on the road to being legalized, but that is different when it comes to young kids/minds.

If prostitution became legal, would we let our children be part of that? That is a silly argument of course, but it simply being 'legal' doesn't mean that it is ok for kids to do it. Legalizing it so that people on chemo can eat and get better, or those who have chronic pain can cope, it's different. Doing it one weekend a month, slips into all weekends, etc.

I have seen many, many, many people become dependant on pot. Spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a month on it. Loose there drive. Become complacent. In actual fact marijuana is a depressant. It can also have different effects on people on other meds, ie: Ritalin and other like drugs.

Also, the THC level in pot has grown dramatically.

All of this said, I believe that I want the best for my kid. It's not to say that she isn't going to be faced with taking this road in her life. The longer I can put it off the better. The more education and knowledge I can give her the better. If and when the time comes, I will not be able to just be like 'oh, ok, all the other kids are doing it.' If adults decide to do so, that's the choice you make as an adult, as a kid, it's just different.

That's my thoughts ...
wee_opal
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting