KIV Community

Mommy what is a peadophile?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Mommy what is a peadophile?

Postby OnceHarmony on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 pm

DD and I were watching a Youtube video tonight of 25 top recalled toys.

Didn't sound bad to me. How naive I was.

How was I to know that one of the toys was recalled because instead of singing Jingle Bells like it should have it said something that sounded like peadophile. DD turns and asks me what is peadophile.

Oh, that's just stinking great. Now I had to try to explain that. I told her the truth :? but it sucks when our kids start learning about the big, bad world. I just want to cuddle her up and protect her forever.

I don't want to ban Youtube in my house because so much good is on it and as things come up I'll tell her the truth but it sucks that she isn't my little baby I can protect forever and ever anymore.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Mommy what is a peadophile?

Postby Samandemma on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am

It sure can be a shock when your child asks a sudden question that you were not prepared to answer.
I do have a question though: How do/did you prepare your child for being in public (eg: going to school; going to various extracurricular activities such as Brownies; gymnastics etc)?
As difficult as it felt (I did not wish to interfere with her love of people and joy of going to school) I felt strongly that I needed to prepare my child for her own safety and sense of self, before she started kindergarten as I could not rely on a nurturing adult to necessarily be available to support her and be aware of her holistic safety needs and rights (my thoughts were that it was possible that an older child or adult could physically or sexually touch or otherwise assault her) so speaking about body safety and gently letting her know that not all people are "safe" and discussing this at an age appropriate level was important.
It's great that your DD asked you and that you were able to respond gently and honestly. Unfortunately, pedophiles are part of everyday life.... and are more likely than not to be someone you and your child knows (relatives or friend).

What do you think is the most helpful way to discuss/tackle this topic? (It is generally an opening to an ongoing discussion).... so the discussion evolves I think.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Mommy what is a peadophile?

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Samandemma.

Yes, the discussion evolves all of the time.

We started when DD was a baby with using the correct body part names and as questions come up we answer them as honestly as we can for her age and understanding.

It's just that hearing my young DD say such a horrible word as peadophile (and me knowing all that that encompasses) struck me in a way that the words bad touches and good touches, etc. never have when I've talked to DD about it in the past.

It made it more real somehow in my awareness that she is growing up and will be hearing and understanding more and more of the bad things in the world and me wanting to protect her from it all (and knowing I can't and shouldn't).
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot - Joni Mitchell
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting