KIV Community

Stopping child from coming in parent's room

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Stopping child from coming in parent's room

Postby 2plus2 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 am

our 4.5 year old has started to come in our room at night. He doesn't come in our bed but just in our room, hovers over you and starts poking you until you (usually me) wakes up. At times it will be at 1:30am, 2:30am, 3am, 3:30am, 4am, 4:15am, 4:30... We will be doing a sleep study to rule more significant apnea out as that has been an issue before. Our Ped suggested a reward system as well but that is't working. We are going to get the moon and sun light/clock next.

I am normally an extremely positive person but I actually find myself getting angry at this situation to the point where I shake. It is hitting such a high level of frustration - I just need some sleep and I know my son is so capable. Right now I just need to vent as I have a stubborn cold I can't get over and know sleep would help so much! It becomes a trigger effect where the disruption of putting our 4 year old back to bed then wakes the 2 year old and then no one has slept appropriately.

Anyone else experience this?
2plus2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Stopping child from coming in parent's room

Postby TazDevil on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:37 pm

We had a baby monitor in DS' room until he was 6 because he was afraid to leave his bed to come and get us when he has a nightmare and with the monitor he could call us instead. After 6 we started giving him 3mg of Melatonin per night and he has been not waking except once in a while when he comes and gets us.

My DD has anxiety disorder and ADHD and she always knows she can come and get us if she needs to any time day or night but luckily doesn't as she has gotten older.

If your child is awake all night, I am guessing something is wrong either emotionally or physically. Hopefully you can get the sleep apnea tested right away as that can be life threatening and very scary. Does he have a special needs (like Autism, ADHD, etc)

After ruling out the physical sleep apnea you may want to look at natural remedies. We use Melatonin 3mg-5mg (DS and DD) and for any anxiousness we have Kali Phos 6x (Potassium Phosphate) by Hylands in a base of lactose. Tastes like sugar and it is a cell salt (totally harmless) but works amazing to help calm them.

Also Calcium like a glass of milk and a banana with potassium right before bed helps a lot too. Magnesium is also great for good sleep and B12 too.

Now if only there was a solution for a DH up every hour or so. I gave up on sleeping more than a few hours straight 15 years ago. :lol:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Stopping child from coming in parent's room

Postby Sunnygirl on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Does he fall asleep on his own when you first put him to bed?

Have you tried not talking to him at all, just getting up, leading him back to bed and then leaving again? Every single time. No communication and therefore no attention at night.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting